Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Holy Rotten Egg Smell Batman!!!...and diacetyl rest...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Holy Rotten Egg Smell Batman!!!...and diacetyl rest...

This is the first time in my 17 years of Brewing that I actually have a freezer dedicated for Lagering. Right now my Helles is holding, and fermenting, at a rock steady 50 degrees. The first thing that slaps you in the face when you open up the Chest Freezer's door is the smell of rotten eggs. I know that's normal. I have read a lot obout the smell, and always wondered how a yeast could put off such a caca smell. Well, I finally got to smell it for my first time this morning, and YUCK!!! Here's to a 6 week Lagering phase!!!

Now, lets talk about about a diacetyl rest. I have read Palmer's excerpt in his book about it, and it pretty much boil down to when Primary fermentation slows down noticably, rease the temp of the beer to 60 degrees for 24-48 hours. Sound about right? ALso, any other more scientific ways to know when a diacetyle rest can be done then relying on visible signs of fermentation?

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Best info on that is already here; Preventing Diacetyl -or- "Hold The Butter Please" Imho, everything you need to know is in there in great depth.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4456 Times on 3244 Posts
Likes Given: 866

I saw the title of your thread, and thought, "Oh, he's finally making a lager...."

I've had just a few strains that smell sulfury, but it's definitely noticeable when you have one of those strains!

I like to do the diacetyl rest when the SG is 75% of the way to FG. So, without me doing any math this morning (I'm still on my first cup of coffee), I'd guestimate that would be 1.020-1.022 for most of my lagers. If you don't want to check the SG, Palmer's suggestion of when it slows down but isn't finished is a good guideline as well.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
RLinNH

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Best info on that is already here; Preventing Diacetyl -or- "Hold The Butter Please" Imho, everything you need to know is in there in great depth.
Thanks for the thread Revvy. After reading it, here's my plan. Once I notice the fermentation falling off, I'll simply set the Ranco to 60 degrees for 36 hours, then even ramp it up to 65 degrees for 12 hours. Rack and Lager for 6-8 Weeks.

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Old 11-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4456 Times on 3244 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLinNH View Post
Thanks for the thread Revvy. After reading it, here's my plan. Once I notice the fermentation falling off, I'll simply set the Ranco to 60 degrees for 36 hours, then even ramp it up to 65 degrees for 12 hours. Rack and Lager for 6-8 Weeks.
I'd add a couple of things to that- one, check the FG first before racking and lagering. When you do that, check for diacteyl too.

Diacetyl in large amounts is easy to taste- buttery, butterscotch flavors. But it very small amounts, it's not so easy. It's sort of a "slickness" on the tongue that feels slightly oily. If you get any hint of slickness in the mouthfeel, continue the diacetyl rest, as it'll get worse, not better, with lagering time!

Quick Reply