holy crap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hophead44

Reaction score
Got home from work today and checked on my beer. This is what I found. Im scared to touch. Looks like its about to blow. I can hear it venting a little bit. So I think I'm just going to let the pressure go down, if it doesn't blow first. :)

ForumRunner_20120507_162120.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120507_161717.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120507_161717.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 346
I would definatly release the pressure and install a blowoff yube. Looks like a very healthy fermentation

Did you cut the little crosspeice out of the very bottom of the airlock(if it had one)?

First, vent that pressure carefully. Then you'll need to rig up a blowoff tube. Do you have some tubing for siphoning? You might be able to remove the black grommet in the lid of the bucket and stick the tube in there. Of course, sanitize the tube first and leave the other end in a bucket with an inch or two of sanitizer in the bottom.

And soak your airlock right away, once that stuff dries inside you'll never get it clean.

And soak your airlock right away, once that stuff dries inside you'll never get it clean.
+1

my first step would be to lightly peel the cap off of your airlock
you might not need to remove the black grommet. i can usually force a tube in there

if only all 'help me' threads were like this one.:rockin:

Pull that airlock out and clean it , its definitely clogged with krausen and install a blowoff tube.

If you don't want the blowoff tube laying around try some fermcap! I use a lot less than it recomends and get great results.

Bernie Brewer said:
Meh, let it go. You are not truly initiated into the hobby of homebrewing until you have used a mop on the ceiling. :D

Please dont put a towel over the top of the fermentor as you pull off the airlock. You won't be initiated.....

I ferment in closets because the owner of my residence doesn't approve of beer and the process (she's a cop who doesn't drink) so I try and keep it out of sight out of mind. Needless to say I opened the closet door one day to see an airlock had exploded....fortunately for me I had pushed all of the coats over to the side away from the fermenter and the one on the edge was a police rain jacket...which was quickly cleaned by a fresh towel...could have ruined a few nice jackets had I not done that and my brew days would have been numbered

I say throw caution to the wind and wait till she blows, f the police... and your jackets.

Kidding of course, i agree with everyone else, release it gently, install blow off. Blew a Raspberry Pale Ale all over my hall in the middle of the night once, not pretty, did you ever see Chainsaw massacre?

Back