Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Highish FG: Wait, or bottle?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
curtw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 51
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Highish FG: Wait, or bottle?

I brewed up a Dunkelweizen 18 days ago, and the recipe data from brewersfriend lists an expected FG of 1.013. I'm at 1.021, which is where it's been for 11 days or so.

I would normally bottle this weekend, after 3 weeks. But I've had a bad experience with bottle bombs once before, so I'm paranoid about bottling before all the fermentables are eaten by the yeast.

Should I wait? I really don't think it's gonna attenuate any further. (Air temps have been pretty consistent, at 62-69F.)

Should I pitch more yeast, on the theory that the yeast has gone wrong somehow? (I kinda don't think so; the beer tastes pretty good, just a bit sweeter than I'd expected.)

Or should I just bottle as planned, and assume the yeast has fully done its job?

OG was 1.055. In primary for 2 weeks, then I racked to secondary.

Thanks!

__________________
curtw is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
By-Tor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Maricopa AZ
Posts: 188
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Once you rack to secondary, there is no more yeast to eat those sugars. If you want to try to bring down those numbers, you would have to pitch more yeast.

__________________

If none are there to buy the yacht, none will be there to build it.

By-Tor is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
marvaden
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kansas City, Kansas
Posts: 173
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default

There will be yeast, but their numbers will be significantly reduced.

I would pitch some new yeast and wait a week then see if your gravity changed at all. If it doesn't, you may have mashed too high or didn't get a complete conversion due to lack of enzymes.

__________________
marvaden is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
curtw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 51
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Thanks for the replies.

More data: I mashed at 151F for 75 min. Volume into fermenter: 3.2 gal. WLP300 yeast. Grain bill:

German pilsner: 2.5#
Wheat malt: 4#
Munich: 0.3#
Caramunich: 0.3#

Brew day was fine, pitch temp was 70F.

__________________
curtw is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
By-Tor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Maricopa AZ
Posts: 188
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvaden View Post
There will be yeast, but their numbers will be significantly reduced.

I would pitch some new yeast and wait a week then see if your gravity changed at all. If it doesn't, you may have mashed too high or didn't get a complete conversion due to lack of enzymes.
Good point, I guess I should have said- There won't be enough yeast to bring down those numers. I never rack to secondary unless it's a big beer that needs longer to mellow.
__________________

If none are there to buy the yacht, none will be there to build it.

By-Tor is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
eastoak
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: oakland, california
Posts: 3,242
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Default

the problem was taking the beer off of the yeast cake needed to ferment the beer. avoid doing this in the future and you won't have this under attenuation problem.

__________________
eastoak is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Red ale in the bottle, now I wait... Woodland Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 06-10-2011 02:43 AM
To bottle, or wait? Wortdiver Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 02-06-2010 09:13 PM
To Bottle, or Wait? Fenster General Beer Discussion 5 10-30-2008 06:02 AM
Should I bottle or wait? Rich the Brewer General Techniques 2 10-01-2007 09:52 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS