Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > High Pitching temperature

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
etho1416
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default High Pitching temperature

I know this has been covered a bit before, but I have a more speicifc query.

I pitched Wyeast Ringwood ale into a porter when it was too hot, around 90 degrees. I put it right in my basement where it a steady 64 degrees and it seemed to cool down pretty quickly (within about 4-8 hours according to the temp sticker I was checking on the side of the carboy).

I have read on the forums that pitching too hot can lead to off flavors and fusel alcohols.

But how long does it have to stay hot to create those problems? If you pitch it too hot, but it cools down to the proper temp within 8 hours or so, will you still have a problem? It seems like the yeast is not all that active right away, so by the time they were getting to work, the wort would be at the proper temperature?

Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
PantherCity
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You will find out!
It is not the best situation but you got it down pretty quick.

During that initial period is when the yeast are reproducing the most, which is also when they have the tendency to throw of the most unwanted flavors.

Next time wait to pitch. If your sanitation is good, I would rather wait over night than pitch at 90F.

I am very confidant in my sanitation practices and I once waited (due to extenuating circumstances) 2 days to pitch. But I oxygenated and pitched a large healthy pitch and it turned out great.

Temp is most critical during the first days of fermentation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply