Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > High gravity, no starter, add more yeast 24 hrs later or leave it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
normzone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default High gravity, no starter, add more yeast 24 hrs later or leave it?

Alright...no excuses here, just a request for some counsel...

I failed to make my starter, cooked up a seven gallon batch of 1.089 and pitched two tubes of Whitelabs California Ale 001.

It's evidently fermenting 8 hours later - should I leave well enough alone or would I be advised to pick up a tube on the way home from work and add it to the mix?

Sorry to bother you folks with these pleas, thanks again for all your help.

Norman, aka normzone

EDIT: Okay, I just remembered Mr. Malty. He advises me to get at least two more tubes.

Reason: Mr. Malty counsel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Depends on the beer style. If it's a style that needs to be clean, and depends on high attenuation I'd probably get more yeast asap. You need to get the new yeast into the wort before the ABV gets very high (and other environment conditions) or it will shock the yeast and the new yeast may not ferment anything, rather just drop out. If you don't mind more esters, and possibly lower attenuation let it go with the yeast you already pitched. Letting it ferment at a slightly higher temp may help with the attenuation as well. If you pitched fresh, healthy yeast it may come out just fine. I've seen a number of threads with underpitching that came out just fine.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
normzone
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Thanks, [slarkin712]. I decided to go get a couple more tubes. It's an IIPA, Port Brewing Mongo clone-ish. Mr. Malty suggests 4.4 tubes or a two tube starter. That oughta teach me not to neglect my beer chores. I figured I was on the edge of the comfort zone and there's enough ingredients investment I'd be foolish not to pitch again. It will be about twenty hours between the two pitches, I should get away with it.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
cockybitz
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

You could also add oxygen after the fermentation has started. The oxygen promotes more budding from the already present yeast. Yeast multiplication falls off once the oxygen is gone. Of course, you would want to make sure there was still enough maltose for them to eat.

Quick Reply