Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > High-gravity belgians, under-pitching, and yeast strains.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
cinderbike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default High-gravity belgians, under-pitching, and yeast strains.

I'm putting together a recipe for a high-gravity quad (quintuppel?) in the 14% ABV range. I know that, traditionally, with high gravity beers, you want a HUGE starter and aerate the heck out of it, but I usually underpitch if I'm doing a Belgian to entice the yeast to throw off more esters.

Anyone have experience with ultra high-gravity Belgians and yeast behavior? Or just additional tips & tricks? This will be my first beer to break the 1.100 barrier.

Check out Chill Haze for my adventures in brewing, cooking, and more!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 638 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 249

i wouldn't underpitch that big a beer. the environment will be stressful enough with all that sugar in there. you're going to need a lot of soldiers to conquer that hill.

i would consider adding sugar in waves after primary has starter. that way you'll start off with a 1.080 (for example) beer, but through the addition of sugar on days 3, 5 and 7 you ramp it up to 1.100.

i don't have any experience brewing a belgian that big, but i'm not sure that there is any belgian ale yeast that can get you to 14%. you might want to start off with a belgian yeast and see where it gets you, and have some high-gravity yeast (wlp099 or a wine/champagne yeast) ready to take over once the belgian craps out. if you go with 099, be sure to get it going in a starter first and pitch at high krausen. you want those bugs active before going into a ~10% ABV environment.

there are several excellent threads on this forum that discuss high-gravity brewing - excellent resources.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply