Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > High final gravity with S-33. Rack now or wait?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
Bisco_Ben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Glen Cove, NY
Posts: 332
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default High final gravity with S-33. Rack now or wait?

So I brewed up an IPA with whatever ingredients I had on hand in the midst of Hurricane Sandy, so I dubbed the batch "Hurricane IPA". I used the safbrew S-33 dry yeast. The gravity reading came in at 1.018-1.019 today after 3 weeks in the primary. Also, I added the 8oz of dextrose after exactly 1 week in primary, so it had 2 weeks to ferment that out. Now, I am looking to dry-hop this bad boy and get it in the keg as soon as possible so I am just wondering if this is too high of a FG to start dry-hopping and then racking. I have read that S-33 doesnt attenuate as much as say US-05 or even the S-04 so I know a higher FG is expected, I am just trying to avoid having a cloyingly sweet, under-attenuated IPA. Here is the recipe in case it is needed.

Original Gravity: 1.064

Ingredients:
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.3 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.7 %
8.0 oz Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.3 %
8.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 4 3.3 %
7.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.9 %
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 35.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.90 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 10.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [10.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 7.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [11.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 11.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 2.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 3.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [10.40 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.90 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafBrew Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-33) [23.66 ml] Yeast 14 -
8.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 15 3.3 %
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs

__________________
Bisco_Ben is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
Wirk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Santiago, Chile
Posts: 163
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

[QUOTE=Bisco_Ben;4622826 I am just trying to avoid having a cloyingly sweet[/QUOTE]

Then try it! Maybe it doesn't taste sweet at all and you just have many unfermentables.

__________________
Wirk is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Bisco_Ben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Glen Cove, NY
Posts: 332
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default

I gave the hyrdo-sample a taste and it was definitely a little sweet and green tasting. However, I find it hard to judge what my beer will finally become based off of green-tasting hydrometer samples.

__________________
Bisco_Ben is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
Bisco_Ben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Glen Cove, NY
Posts: 332
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default

Also, the zombie dust clone I brewed a while back had a FG of 1.017 (with S-04) and was one of my favorite brews yet. Not too sweet at all and perfectly dry. So maybe this will still turn out fine, just looking for insight from anyone who has experience using this yeast, especially in an IPA, since this is my first time using it.

__________________
Bisco_Ben is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
highgravitybacon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 897
Liked 203 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Default

Had horrible results with S-33 too. Stuck at 1.030 for about 3 weeks. Started at 1.065. I ended up pitching a pack of nottingham, and it finally stopped at 1.020 after a total of two months. So I racked it to secondary to try to spur it along. No change after additional two weeks.

Now its been 2.5 months. Im sick of waiting so I bottle with 2.5 vol co2. I open one after two more weeks, now three months since starting.

Gusher. Im like WTF is this? I degass a sample and check gravity. It has fallen to 1.016. So basically I now have a carb of 4.5 vol or so. And the beer sucks.

Long story short, not a fan of this yeast.

Edit: I should add I tried this yeast in a cider and it sucked too.

__________________
highgravitybacon is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Glenview, IL
Posts: 6,198
Liked 486 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 212

Default

It's possible you may have mashed a little high and didn't get the full attenuation you expected. Your FG is a little high but if it's been there for a few days without moving it's probably done and safe to move forward. You can try and gently rouse the yeast and raise the temp to see if you can squeeze a few more points out of it. It is probably a little sweeter then you would prefer for an IPA but it will probably be great once hopped, conditioned and carbonated!

__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
duboman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
Bisco_Ben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Glen Cove, NY
Posts: 332
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default

I mashed at 150 as I usually would with an IPA so I dont suspect the mash. I am going to move the bucket upstairs into a warmer room and see if the agitation/increase in temp gets me any more points. Is it safe to have a 4-5 week primary in a bucket though? I have done this plenty of times in a carboy but never in a bucket, which is why i was looking to rack sooner than later.

__________________
Bisco_Ben is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Glenview, IL
Posts: 6,198
Liked 486 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 212

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisco_Ben View Post
I mashed at 150 as I usually would with an IPA so I dont suspect the mash. I am going to move the bucket upstairs into a warmer room and see if the agitation/increase in temp gets me any more points. Is it safe to have a 4-5 week primary in a bucket though? I have done this plenty of times in a carboy but never in a bucket, which is why i was looking to rack sooner than later.
As long as you haven't been opening up the fermenter frequently and disturbing the CO2 blanket, it should be fine for a bit longer or if you can add some CO2 to the vessel.
__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
duboman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
Bisco_Ben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Glen Cove, NY
Posts: 332
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default

I opened the lid twice over the course of the past 3 weeks. Once to add the sugar after 1 week, and then again today for the quick gravity sample. I am thinking of leaving it for another week upstairs at around 75 degrees and then dryhopping in the primary for another week, totaling 5 weeks in the bucket.

__________________
Bisco_Ben is offline
duboman Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
Bisco_Ben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Glen Cove, NY
Posts: 332
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default

Just an update, so I moved my bucket upstairs where it was sitting around 75 degrees. After a week I took a reading and it had dropped down to 1.010!! I dryhopped on monday and will be racking to the keg this coming monday. I will let you guys know how it turned out in about 2-3 weeks.

__________________
Bisco_Ben is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Final gravity too high thisgoestoeleven General Beer Discussion 6 11-11-2011 11:00 PM
When dry hopping can you add in at pitching or should you wait til the final gravity? happyinsonoma Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 06-03-2011 03:57 PM
High gravity beer, should I rack it yet? austinb Fermentation & Yeast 2 03-19-2011 01:46 AM
Final Gravity too high. What to do? eurc51 Fermentation & Yeast 7 04-14-2010 11:26 PM
High SG, Wait, Rouse, Re-Pitch or Rack? vickeryj Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 02-13-2008 10:16 PM