New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Help! Yeast isn't fermenting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #21
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike_Eayrs View Post
So I know airlock activity doesn't mean much in regards to fermentation. However, this is the first brown ale I have ever made. No two row, like the other brews I have made as the recipe called for Maris Otter. Does the type of grain have anything to do with the ferocity that yeast produce C02? Could this be the reason the airlock is no really cooking? My hunch is no, but the curiousity is still there.
I don't think so. If anything it would affect the gravity if the lots had different potential extract, but I can't see it affecting fermentation for similar gravity beers. Make sure you have a good seal (I'm guessing you're in a bucket?) on the lid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #22
Nike_Eayrs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
I don't think so. If anything it would affect the gravity if the lots had different potential extract, but I can't see it affecting fermentation for similar gravity beers. Make sure you have a good seal (I'm guessing you're in a bucket?) on the lid.
I actually checked that the first day there was no airlock activity. When I put pressure on the lid, the airlock bounces a bit leading me to believe that the seal is good

Old 10-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #23
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike_Eayrs

I actually checked that the first day there was no airlock activity. When I put pressure on the lid, the airlock bounces a bit leading me to believe that the seal is good
I bet it will go nuts soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #24
guitarist_713
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

I've had beers that didn't take off after three days- then all of the sudden the yeast started doing its thing and everything was fine- I've also had beers that didn't take off ever. If I don't see airlock activity I like to shake the hell out of the fermenter- it makes bubbles form in the airlock and gives me a much needed false sense of security

Quick Reply