Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Help! Yeast isn't fermenting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #11
JordanThomas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrManifesto View Post
I just don't buy that it takes 72 hrs to show. Maybe but you've got a sad/slow fermentation. I know people treat that like the gospel around here but I'm not buying it. If it takes 72 hours and everything else is regular (average OG, no crazy ingredients) then you did something wrong.
The key word is "SHOW." It may not SHOW any activity at all. The only way to know if it's fermenting is to take gravity readings.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
Nike_Eayrs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 24

*update*
So the airlock is moving, but it is moving very lazily. It is the San Diego Super Strain from White Labs, and the previous two times I used this stuff the airlock almost shot off the fermentor! I know airlock activity is not an indicator of fermentation. That said, should I be concerned? Thanks!

Old 10-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #13
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Did you warm the yeast to pitching temp over the course of your brew day? How much of the harvested yeast did you pitch (in ML) and how did you harvest? Did you wash or just harvest? Was there much grainy, darker colored layers to the yeast at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
Nike_Eayrs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Did you warm the yeast to pitching temp over the course of your brew day? How much of the harvested yeast did you pitch (in ML) and how did you harvest? Did you wash or just harvest? Was there much grainy, darker colored layers to the yeast at all?
I did wash the yeast. I put a bunch (not scientific I know) into a milk jug, gave it a good shake and let it sit for about 20min. I filled 2 16oz (sanatized)water bottles with the nice yeast in suspension. I put it in the fridge, and when the yeast settled there was a nice cake on the bottom extending up about an inch and a half. I took it out and let it get up to room temp for about an hour and made a starter shortly afterword. The starter was cool before I put the yeast in it. About 6-7 hours later I piched the yeast into the wort. The yeast looked nice and bright in the bottle, and it appeared that the starter had taken off. Any ideas if/where I went wrong? Thanks!

Old 10-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #15
tre9er
Recipes 

Well the process technically doesn't seem wrong, but I still don't know how much yeast you had there. I'm guessing about 200ML but how long was it in the fridge settling before it compacted to the 1" layer in the water bottles?

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #16
Nike_Eayrs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Well the process technically doesn't seem wrong, but I still don't know how much yeast you had there. I'm guessing about 200ML but how long was it in the fridge settling before it compacted to the 1" layer in the water bottles?
It was in the fridge for 1 week and 2 days.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #17
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike_Eayrs View Post
It was in the fridge for 1 week and 2 days.
OK then if the 16oz. bottle was say 7" tall, 1" should have been over 2oz, or just over 60ml. If your gravity was even 1.058 or so you'd only need 100ml of yeast. That you woke it up with a starter should mean you're OK.

What was your OG and batch size again?

Quote:

Old 10-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #18
Nike_Eayrs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
OK then if the 16oz. bottle was say 7" tall, 1" should have been over 2oz, or just over 60ml. If your gravity was even 1.058 or so you'd only need 100ml of yeast. That you woke it up with a starter should mean you're OK.

What was your OG and batch size again?
5.5 gallon batch, and OG was 1.050. Thanks a TON for your help, by the way!

Old 10-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #19
tre9er
Recipes 

You were right on the borderline there, but it's close enough that I'm betting you're fine. You still had way more cells than a vial/pack of liquid yeast.

Quote:

Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #20
Nike_Eayrs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
You were right on the borderline there, but it's close enough that I'm betting you're fine. You still had way more cells than a vial/pack of liquid yeast.
So I know airlock activity doesn't mean much in regards to fermentation. However, this is the first brown ale I have ever made. No two row, like the other brews I have made as the recipe called for Maris Otter. Does the type of grain have anything to do with the ferocity that yeast produce C02? Could this be the reason the airlock is no really cooking? My hunch is no, but the curiousity is still there.

Quick Reply