Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Help with starter (won't decant)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
thrust
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Default Help with starter (won't decant)

Hi folks,

I just made a starter of White Labs WLP099 (Super High Gravity) for an upcoming (hopefully) brew of a Russian Imperial Stout.

However, in my other attempt at making a starter (Wyeast 1272), I was able to decant to a very clear separation; not so with this batch of starter.

I've included a picture (below) to indicate my perceived problem.

My starter wort was the standard 200g of DME in 2L of water. I pitched 2 vials of WLP099 and left it on a stir plate for 18 hours.

In the picture, it has been in the fridge for ~12 hours.

Is this normal for this yeast?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
daugenet
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would say that it is just the difference in flocculation characteristics between the two strains.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
thrust
Recipes 

Thank you for the reply. So, if I'm going to step up to a larger starter, can I decant? In other words, I would like to pitch this starter into another 2L of wort to get my cell count up to the 450 billion needed.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
daugenet
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Your best option (this is only my opinion) would be to

1. decant what you can and save the liquid
2. take your decanted liquid and allow the yeast to settle out more
3. pitch the settled yeast into the next starter
4. decant both when brewing is done and pitch them in

Old 04-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
daugenet
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

ah i see you are in state college. i was just up that way a couple weeks ago for a job. good luck!

Old 04-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Then just don't bother decanting. Decanting or not decanting is really just a preference, and in the case of low flocculating yeast, you often are just better dumping the whole starter in. It's really just a small amount of light beer being added to 5 or more gallons of wort- it's not going to affect the finished product at all.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
daugenet
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then just don't bother decanting. Decanting or not decanting is really just a preference, and in the case of low flocculating yeast, you often are just better dumping the whole starter in. It's really just a small amount of light beer being added to 5 or more gallons of wort- it's not going to affect the finished product at all.
I agree but I didnt know if he had enough room in his next container to put his whole first starter in.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
yodalegomaster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Be careful with this yeast, at Low fermentation temps it puts off no Esters. I made a Barlywine with this yeast. it's clean and bright and very boring. But I was looking for some tell tale esters, becasue I was thinking it was going to be a british barleywine. My other choices was an american barleywine but becasue I didn't use American Hops it doesn't fit there either. My point here is that RIS usally have some yeast esters, to provide complexity and intrest. I would think your going to have to ferment very warm to get the british esters to come out. This means your going to produce alot of fusal alcohol's along with the esters.

I know many people would love a very clean barleywine like I made, but's It's not want I was expecting. To me its just a good alcohol delivery device. I usually make my RIS's with Irish Yeasts to get some good ester flavors so I get a much more complex brew.

Ps: if you put 450mil of this yeast in a 10 gallon RIS 1.010 at 80 degrees expect to have a geyser after a couple of hours.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
thrust
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daugenet View Post
Your best option (this is only my opinion) would be to

1. decant what you can and save the liquid
2. take your decanted liquid and allow the yeast to settle out more
3. pitch the settled yeast into the next starter
4. decant both when brewing is done and pitch them in
This is basically what I've ended up doing:

1.) Decanted the original stater and saved the runnings.
2.) Made an additional 2L starter using the yeast from the first decanting.
3.) I will pitch the entire 2L **new** starter, plus any settled yeast from the original decanted runnings.

I'm making a big (OG 1.132) beer, so I don't really think any of the non-decanted starter will affect the final taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daugenet View Post
ah i see you are in state college. i was just up that way a couple weeks ago for a job. good luck!
Best of luck! Did you interview with PSU, by chance?

It's beautiful, and a very nice place to live! My wife and I have been here for just under six years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
This is basically my final plan. I just need to ensure I reach my needed cell count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodalegomaster View Post
Be careful with this yeast, at Low fermentation temps it puts off no Esters. I made a Barlywine with this yeast. it's clean and bright and very boring. But I was looking for some tell tale esters, becasue I was thinking it was going to be a british barleywine. My other choices was an american barleywine but becasue I didn't use American Hops it doesn't fit there either. My point here is that RIS usally have some yeast esters, to provide complexity and intrest. I would think your going to have to ferment very warm to get the british esters to come out. This means your going to produce alot of fusal alcohol's along with the esters.

I know many people would love a very clean barleywine like I made, but's It's not want I was expecting. To me its just a good alcohol delivery device. I usually make my RIS's with Irish Yeasts to get some good ester flavors so I get a much more complex brew.

Ps: if you put 450mil of this yeast in a 10 gallon RIS 1.010 at 80 degrees expect to have a geyser after a couple of hours.
I'm rethinking my yeast selection a bit, but hopefully all is not lost with the WLP099.

I'm brewing a five gallon batch, but I'm using a 12 gallon bucket for primary. Hopefully, I can avoid the need for a blow-off setup! Nevertheless, I'm anxious to see what happens!

Old 05-02-2011, 01:10 AM   #10
daugenet
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

No I was out that way working on the paper mill. :-) It is a nice campus though. Similar to where I went.

Quick Reply