The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Help! She's gonna blow!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 04:25 AM   #11
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessRockwell

Exactly. The airlock hole won't clog, the tube will. Trust me.

I mean it could, but unless you want to stand there and watch it/change it out all night, you have much better chances with the airlock hole, sans-tube.
Yep that's what I'm going to do since when I had the tube in, I noticed the bubbling in the growler would stop for long periods and the lid was very swollen, and tight as hell when I pushed on it. If its just air going through the tube no problem but when it's all foam like this, I think pushing the foam through the tube creates back pressure.

What I'm worried about is temp now, bucket strip says 78 + and the ambient temp is 74, just jacked it down to 70. It's going down to 59 tonight, 66 right now. I could put it outside to cool it down but I read some articles tonight from brewers at commercial breweries of Belgians and one said that once the yeast gets going don't try to cool the wort temp down. Should start cool, in the 60s, and let it ramp. He said if you cool it to slow it then a lot of the time it will stop and not restart, have to pitch new. So I guess I'll roll the dice, it IS a Belgian so ill have a high ester Belgian I guess.
On tap: Hop Hammer, Cottage House Saison, Western MI IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Centennial Blonde, caramel apple cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 04:30 AM   #12
KAMMEE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There are folks who just use foil over the top of their carboys so that should work with an airlock that doesn't have water in it.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:34 AM   #13
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well right now the foam is just pouring out nonstop so I'm not worried about stuff getting in. I am setting my alarm for every two hours to check it and when it's slowed I will replace the blow off.

On tap: Hop Hammer, Cottage House Saison, Western MI IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Centennial Blonde, caramel apple cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 10-06-2012, 04:34 AM   #14
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
What I'm worried about is temp now, bucket strip says 78 + and the ambient temp is 74, just jacked it down to 70. It's going down to 59 tonight, 66 right now. I could put it outside to cool it down but I read some articles tonight from brewers at commercial breweries of Belgians and one said that once the yeast gets going don't try to cool the wort temp down. Should start cool, in the 60s, and let it ramp. He said if you cool it to slow it then a lot of the time it will stop and not restart, have to pitch new. So I guess I'll roll the dice, it IS a Belgian so ill have a high ester Belgian I guess.
Yeah that's a tough one... I'd probably just roll with it too, nothing wrong with a high-ester Belgian. Just hope for no fusels!
"Lets say your local bar pours an American pint where 15% of the beer is missing due to headspace. Every 6.66 beers you drink you 'll have been missing 1 entire beer". 6.66 beers!. I wonder who's really responsible for the missing beers... I don't know, maybe Satan??!

Old 10-16-2012, 04:16 AM   #15
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well I just racked this one to secondary tonight. It smells awesome, I didn't taste it but the SG is at 1.015 so great results there. This beer was supposed to have an OG of 1.085 and FG of 1.019 but my numbers were 1.092 and 1.015. So instead of about 8.7% this is going to be 10.1%... Wow! According to Unibroue web site the original is 9%. I don't understand how my OG was so far off since I followed instructions to a T, and I definitely did not have to little volume going into my primary, it was too high if anything. I did do a full wort boil with 6 gallons instead of the partial the instructions suggested. Oh well I will let it sit in secondary a couple weeks at 70-72 and then bottle. For the last week I had the primary in a water bath with aquarium heaters to keep the temp around 76.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
KAMMEE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Are you sure you measured the volume correctly? Boil off rates differ and the standard increments on fermenters aren't right. I use a dowel marked at gallons and halfs.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #17
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Positive, I used my marked stirring paddle that I marked at 5 and 6 gallons for my boil kettle and measured in the boil kettle. Also after I transferred last night to my secondary it was right at the 5.25 mark. I'm going to punch these numbers into beer smith to see what it says the OG should have been.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:24 AM   #18
KAMMEE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It could be the points per pound per gallon you get from the extract. Some extract is "denser" than what is loaded in the programs.

Quick Reply