Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Help With No Bubbling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
nwbrewing32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Help With No Bubbling

Hello All,

I normally would wait until 48-72 hours before worrying about yeast, but I just brewed a Cream Ale and used S-05 dry yeast for fermenting only this time, I rehydrated the yeast instead of just pitching dry. Well, it's been 12 hours and typically with this particular yeast I see bubbling by now; there is none. The holder on the inside of the airlock isn't even raised.

Basically, I poured the yeast into some water I boiled in a pyrex measuring cup that I sanitized and covered with sanitized tin foil. I believe the temp. of the water was around 90 degress at that time. Let that sit 15 minutes, stirred with a sanitized spoon, then pitched into the wort.

What should I look for to determine if I need to re-pitch? Is it normal for rehydrated yeast to take longer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbrewing32 View Post
Hello All,

I normally would wait until 48-72 hours before worrying about yeast, but I just brewed a Cream Ale and used S-05 dry yeast for fermenting only this time, I rehydrated the yeast instead of just pitching dry. Well, it's been 12 hours and typically with this particular yeast I see bubbling by now; there is none. The holder on the inside of the airlock isn't even raised.

Basically, I poured the yeast into some water I boiled in a pyrex measuring cup that I sanitized and covered with sanitized tin foil. I believe the temp. of the water was around 90 degress at that time. Let that sit 15 minutes, stirred with a sanitized spoon, then pitched into the wort.

What should I look for to determine if I need to re-pitch? Is it normal for rehydrated yeast to take longer?
The temps are cooling off a bit and ferm may take a little longer to see. It may be fermenting but hasn't released any CO2 yet. Swirl your fermenter--this might cause it to release some CO2 and move your airlock. 12hrs is a bit early to start worrying though. Chill brotha.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
nwbrewing32
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply - yeah, I was just thinking "it's only 40 degrees out!" so perhaps the cellar is below normal temp...I'll have to get a thermometer for down there soon.

Fingers crossed that it starts up - typically I don't rehydrate because of the added exposure and risk for contamination but after researching the subject seems like the proper way to do it.

If this doesn't start up in the next couple days, should I just buy some more S-05 and re-pitch?

Old 10-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 575

I'd leave it alone and take a gravity reading at 72 hours. Repitch only if it's still at OG.

CO2 can escape through a very tiny leak instead of bubbling through an airlock. You probably have fermentation going on. US-05 is pretty reliable.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
nwbrewing32
Recipes 

Well no bubbles yet, got impatient and I opened the bucket and found Krausen on the top so I believe it is fermenting.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:14 AM   #6
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbrewing32 View Post
Well no bubbles yet, got impatient and I opened the bucket and found Krausen on the top so I believe it is fermenting.
more often than not this is the outcome of "no bubbles!" threads.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I have a bucket that usually doesn't seal properly, and I get the same thing. My other bucket is fine, though.

Quick Reply