Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Help! Hardly any action in primary fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
lelorien
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help! Hardly any action in primary fermenter

Hello HomeBrewTalk community!

This is my first time brewing an all grain beer and an IPA. The mash didn't go that well bringing me to an OG of 1.055 instead of the 1.068 I was aiming for. I decided I would ferment it nonetheless and see how things would go.

From monday night to wednesday morning (today), all I've seen appear on top is a thin film of kreusen about 1/4 of an inch thick, where my other beers produced one to two inches of thick kreusen. My yeast is dehydrated Safale s-05 which I rehydrated prior to use. This is my first time using that too, I usually use Nottingham. oh, and I'm fermenting in a bucket.

Should I be alarmed? It's been almost two days. Should I pitch in another packet?

Thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
Riot
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts

Wait it out and check gravity as normal. A small krausen is still a sign of fermentation, it will be fine. It might be a little weird depending on exactly what happened during your first mash, but still fine.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
fearwig
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 185 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Not a huge beer so I am not astounded by small kreusen. Your only concern should be that your mash was successful in converting the starches. If it wasn't, your FG will be high, and more yeast won't help.

Primary: 1/2bbl Session Saison

Old 04-09-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
lelorien
Recipes 

I see. Thank you for your feedback!

Quick Reply