Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > HELP - Cold Front Came Through During Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
gman122889
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default HELP - Cold Front Came Through During Fermentation

So...I've got a pumpkin ale in the fermenter. It's my second batch! Last week a nice cold front came though. I'm in college and my roomies and I are pretty stingy when it comes to running the furnace so the average temperature of the house has been set at 62. Temp was real good during the primary phase of high activity fermentation. Got a great kraeusen for the first 3 days and things have settled. Then the temp dropped. The thermo is reading 60-62ish. I'm using WLP002 which calls for temps 65-68. It's not really clearing as nicely as my porter did. Am I in trouble? Any suggestions? I'm trying to primary for 2-3 weeks then bottle. I don't really know if this matters cause I'm brand new to this (and quickly getting addicted) but OG was 1.064.

Do any of you have any suggestions? From most of what I have read the best advice seems to be just let it be.

For the future, I ferment in a coat closet in our condo so the only temp control I have is what I keep the house at. Any suggestions on things to help meet temp requirements for fermentation that a broke college kid who wants to keep making beer could use? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

swirl it around a little and warm it up.. it will be fine

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-07-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

you're fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #4
gman122889
Recipes 

Revvy, Where are you from in Detroit? I'm originally from Waterford near Pontiac.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:00 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

East Side. I've lived in Detroit, Grosse Pointe, Warren and now Fraser.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #6
gman122889
Recipes 

Sweet! There's some different beers to try here but much more selection back home. I miss it!

Old 11-08-2011, 02:14 AM   #7
tallgirl
Recipes 

The yeasts aren't going to die or anything from the cold, just take a nice snooze or slow down.

If the front doesn't pass and things warm up, try bumping the heat up a degree or three and let the fermentation finish before turning the heat back down.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
gman122889
Recipes 

I'm thinking about getting a very small space heater for the closet...

Meanwhile, I will freeze my butt off in my room. Is it weird that I'm taking better care of my beer's temp than my own? I think I have a problem...

Quick Reply