The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > HELP! 1st Lager- Question, Xingu

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2009, 04:31 AM   #1
wvhomebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default HELP! 1st Lager- Question, Xingu

Hey everyone! This is my first post but I have benefited quite a bit in my first year of homebrewing thanks a ton everyone.

So I have brewed my first lager. I am using the recipe from Clone Brews (not the north American one, i think) for the Xingu Black Beer. I brewed saturday, and after having some difficulty getting the temp high enough in my new fridge, i have begun fermenting.

My question is in regard to the fermentation process for this "lager." The recipe sates ( I am using wyeast 2308 munich lager by the way) to ferment at 42-52 degrees for 14 days, then 57-62 for the remainder of fermentation.

I have done a bunch of reading on making lagers, but this does not seem to need to be lagered. I thought i would have to cool it way down for a while after primary.

Has anyone ever made this beer or does anyone have any advice on what i should do. It is called a lager in the book, and it uses a lager yeast. What should i do to have the best end result? Just follow the directions? I have read about diacetyl rests and things but not sure what do to with this beer.

Thanks for any help you might be! On a side note it has been over three days and I don't see any visible signs of fermentation yet. Can anyone ease my fears on that?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2009, 05:29 AM   #2
BrewMeister49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

while in the ferm process, your brew can develop off flavors, lagering it for a while in the 30*s will clean up all those flavors, giving it a nice crisp taste.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply