Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Hefeweizen and Wlp 300

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default Hefeweizen and Wlp 300

This happened to be my first AG batch ( side note I hit all my numbers and efficency's dead on ) and I choose to do a hefeweizen using White labs Wlp300. My question to brewers more knowledgable than myself is this. I have never ever ever in any extract or partial mash beer I've made ever had a more crazy fermentation. I completely understand about motion in the carboy but I swear it looks like pizza dough huge bulbous clumps of dough flying around the carboy and I don't mean a few I mean thousands. I'm kinda worried as I've never seen this extreme action before is this normal with this strain ? or is it because of the wheat content ? how do I get this strained out at bottling time assuming it's a low floculating yeast ? any input is greatly appreciated.

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
drawdy10
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Hah I had the exact opposite happen to me. That yeast did almost nothing in the starter OG 1.045 - 1.044 maybe? And I pitched it anyways, barely getting any bubbling at all.....

Old 08-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #3
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus

Recipes 

just added a video up top

Old 08-14-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
AJC16
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

WLP300 is like yeast on crack. It was the only yeast I have ever used in which I need a blow off tube.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #5
Clementine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

How funny, I just did my first all grain yesterday with a wheat beer accept I used WLP380. I have not noticed this reaction however my fermentation chamber does not allow me see into the wort this well. One thought is did you try a protein rest, I tried one (don't know if I got the temps exactly right so I might have been a little high), this could be a larger amount of protein in the wort caused by the wheat in the recipe leading to increase amount of hot break and hence these clumps are being moved around by the CO2 movement in the fermenting wort, you normally see this on a smaller scale with bit of hops etc.

Clem

Old 08-14-2011, 11:16 PM   #6
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clementine View Post
How funny, I just did my first all grain yesterday with a wheat beer accept I used WLP380. I have not noticed this reaction however my fermentation chamber does not allow me see into the wort this well. One thought is did you try a protein rest, I tried one (don't know if I got the temps exactly right so I might have been a little high), this could be a larger amount of protein in the wort caused by the wheat in the recipe leading to increase amount of hot break and hence these clumps are being moved around by the CO2 movement in the fermenting wort, you normally see this on a smaller scale with bit of hops etc.

Clem
Hey that's awesome another first time All grainer same day , same stye and all even though we're half a globe away. Well I did do a protein rest at 125 degrees for a half hour though I'm not sure it worked as I'm a AG newb. What your saying makes sense ... did you watch the video above the gunk actually looks like pizza dough.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:39 AM   #7
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus

Recipes 

Just a fyi but along with crazy fermentation I should have known I'd need a blow off tube. I don;t care what John Palmer or charlie Papazian say you are not safe in a 6.5 gallon carboy !!! Maybe it's because it's a hefe but it's blowing off like crazy. Thank God I have a blow off tube that fits this carboy.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:15 AM   #8
Clementine
Recipes 

I cheated a bit I tested my AG equipment brewing up some yeast food (4 pounds of 2Row) on Thursday. I canned this in the pressure cooker after boiling it and separating the hot break, I still found a higher amount of hot break material both from the boiling and in the canning process. I guess as we are new to AG that perhaps we aren't getting a perfect filtering or conversion of the wort and hence we have more proteins that coagulate and make your dancing Pizza dough show. It makes sense with how active your is that it is able to move those big chunks around. Mine has a healthy 5" of krausen this morning but no blow off, I'm trying to keep it as cool as possible to allow more clove and less banana flavors, hence the WLP380 instead of WLP300. What temp are you @

Clem

Old 08-15-2011, 05:37 AM   #9
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

My hefeweizen decided it would try to crawl out of the carboy this weekend. Instead of a blowoff, I just threw in a few drops of Defoamer 105.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #10
Clementine
Recipes 

I'm tempted to try Fermcap-S or other type of foam control in my starters but I don't know if I can put silicone in anything to do with my beer, it just does not seem right. I know I have read the reviews everyone seems to swear by it... it.... it is just I don't know, I think I imagine eating caulking or drinking caulking.

Especially considering my starters keep exploding. I like the term "crawling out of the carboy", I will borrow that in future! (credit given of course)

Clem

Quick Reply