New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Hefeweizen w/ Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
bmbigda
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Norfolk, MA
Posts: 252
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Hefeweizen w/ Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan

I am brewing a Hefe and am using said yeast. My question is:

I've heard that this style/yeast combo is best fermented when the pitch temperature and the ferment temp. add up 30 degrees Celsius. Can anyone speak to this? If it's true, what combo works best?

Any temperature suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Bryan



__________________
bmbigda is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Grizzlybrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Douglasville, GA
Posts: 1,194
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I'm not quite sure how this would work... I think better in F. So, this would be roughly 86 deg F. I'm assuming you want to pitch close to ferm temp. In that case, you would be pitching/fermenting around 43 deg F??? That doesn't seem right.

I might be missing something or misinterpreting.



__________________
On Deck
perhaps a line of single hop IPA's - there's so many new hops out there!!!
Grizzlybrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
gophilliesgo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16
Default

Bryan,

I'm making the same beer with the same yeast as we speak. I'm hoping it will be close to the Bavarian Hefes I had in Germany this spring.

I'm pitching at 54 F and fermenting at 62 F (the 30 C rule in Farenheit).

This rule comes from the book "German Wheat Beer" from Eric Warner and will balance the clove and banana flavors from the yeast.

__________________
gophilliesgo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
magnj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 775
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I've heard of this before, Jamil is a supporter of it. When I use 3068 I usually pitch at 65 and just let it go but I hear it does well cooler and since I'll be doing one thi winter I'll probably let it go in the low 60's like you.

__________________
Brewing Next: Stout
Fermenting: APA with Pils and Saaz, German Pilsner, DunkelWeizen
Kegged: APA
magnj is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
chefmike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: north Georgia
Posts: 1,358
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gophilliesgo View Post
Bryan,

I'm pitching at 54 F and fermenting at 62 F (the 30 C rule in Farenheit).
I have been using WL380 with this same temp guide and it gives great balance to the esters. I also harvest slurry and pitch that via Mr Malty guidelines and still have great flavor balance.

The clove is thought to diminish to a more vanilla flavor as the beer ages (from Kaiser in a thread on ferulic acid (4VG precusor) and the clove flavor in wheats over in the science section.
__________________
Reformation Brewery: We went professional
Obsessing over: starting a local brewery (hence I am not here much these days!), Pickles, my wife, 2 year old and 5 year old, my chevy 6.5L diesel Suburban
Reading: fall of giants by ken follett
Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven
chefmike is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
barhoc11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 344
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Can anyone help me out with this rule, should i keep my yeast starter at 54F until I pitch it into my 62F wort? Is there any need to adjust the temperature of the wort or is it fine to pitch into 62F wort and keep it at that until complete?

__________________

Keezer Slot #1 - Centennial Blonde
Keezer Slot #2 - Hefeweizen
Keezer Slot #3 - Two Hearted IPA Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Reapers Mild
On Deck -
Secondary -
Primary - Two Hearted IPA Clone

barhoc11 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
julioardz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 315
Liked 51 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoc11 View Post
Can anyone help me out with this rule, should i keep my yeast starter at 54F until I pitch it into my 62F wort? Is there any need to adjust the temperature of the wort or is it fine to pitch into 62F wort and keep it at that until complete?
Old thread, but I'll give you my thoughts on this yeast. I pitch at or close to the ferment temperature I want. For me, the two biggest influences in getting the yeast flavor you're going for with this yeast is pitch rate, then fermentation temperature. Over pitch and I get a spicier, more clove profile. Under pitch and I get strong banana flavors. The temperature also adds or accentuates the flavor. I was recently going for a more spicy hefe so I over pitched and fermented on the cooler end for this yeast and it came out with just the right amount of clove spiciness I wanted. I have pitched without a started and fermented on the warmer end in the past and I got a very strong banana/bubble gum flavor, not my favorite. I've also under pitched and fermented cool, still too much banana for my taste. This is probably more info than you wanted, so just to reiterate, I prefer to pitch at the fermentation temperature. Sometimes a bit warmer to make sure fermentation gets going, but I'll pitch and soon start cooling it to the fermentation temperature I want.
__________________
julioardz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
barhoc11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 344
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by julioardz View Post
Old thread, but I'll give you my thoughts on this yeast. I pitch at or close to the ferment temperature I want. For me, the two biggest influences in getting the yeast flavor you're going for with this yeast is pitch rate, then fermentation temperature. Over pitch and I get a spicier, more clove profile. Under pitch and I get strong banana flavors. The temperature also adds or accentuates the flavor. I was recently going for a more spicy hefe so I over pitched and fermented on the cooler end for this yeast and it came out with just the right amount of clove spiciness I wanted. I have pitched without a started and fermented on the warmer end in the past and I got a very strong banana/bubble gum flavor, not my favorite. I've also under pitched and fermented cool, still too much banana for my taste. This is probably more info than you wanted, so just to reiterate, I prefer to pitch at the fermentation temperature. Sometimes a bit warmer to make sure fermentation gets going, but I'll pitch and soon start cooling it to the fermentation temperature I want.
Are you saying you keep the yeast starter at the fermentation temp? I was referring to that temperature, I always try to pitch into wort that is close to my desired fermentation temp.
__________________

Keezer Slot #1 - Centennial Blonde
Keezer Slot #2 - Hefeweizen
Keezer Slot #3 - Two Hearted IPA Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Reapers Mild
On Deck -
Secondary -
Primary - Two Hearted IPA Clone

barhoc11 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
Piratwolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Va Beach, VA
Posts: 2,103
Liked 124 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoc11 View Post
Are you saying you keep the yeast starter at the fermentation temp? I was referring to that temperature, I always try to pitch into wort that is close to my desired fermentation temp.
From what I understand, you do NOT want to shock your yeast. That produces Bad Things. So it would make more sense to have your starter at your desired PITCH temp and let it rise to fermentation temp.

As for the rule, keep in mind that cold=clove & hot=banana. So if you pitch cool you get the clove and then let it warm up to get the banana.
__________________
Piratwolf: "I've heard that Belgian Blondes can be "panty droppers" but they're not particularly high IBU nor cheap."

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.
Piratwolf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
julioardz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 315
Liked 51 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoc11 View Post
Are you saying you keep the yeast starter at the fermentation temp? I was referring to that temperature, I always try to pitch into wort that is close to my desired fermentation temp.
Sorry, first day of vacation for me and it was still a bit early this morning when I replied. I wasn't clear on that. I do try to have my yeast and wort at close to the same temperature when pitching.


__________________
julioardz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
White Labs WLP 300 vs Wyeast Weihenstephan 3068 Scut_Monkey Recipes/Ingredients 14 08-15-2011 04:21 PM
wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen vs 3638 Bavarian Wheat Denny's Evil Concoctions Recipes/Ingredients 14 07-05-2011 03:14 PM
3068 Weihenstephan Weizen - questions Grinder12000 Fermentation & Yeast 8 09-23-2009 03:43 AM
Wyeast #3068 Weihenstephan JohnnyK68 Recipes/Ingredients 1 03-08-2007 11:41 PM
wyeast 3068 weihenstephan wheat smack pack question chainsawbrewing Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 03-06-2007 02:08 AM