Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Heat wave - effect on fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
calebgk
Wishy-washy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Heat wave - effect on fermentation

I built a chamber in my brew shed in the winter to keep my fermenters warm, but have yet to add cooling. On the weekend, the chamber got up to about 80F. I figure it was only that high for a couple hours before I moved everything to the basement. I've got a few pale ales (US-05), a two ciders (Notty and EC1118).

They are still bubbling, but would that brief spike mess anything up? Off-flavors, esters?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

If it was short periods.. probably not, but the issue is..

Before the heat wave, what was the temp of the carboys? Chances are, if they were actively fermenting, they were atleast mid 80's.

US05 might be able to hand it, but will get fusel tasting.

Notty... well, I won't get into a rant, but it's not something you'll want to allow to get warm.. IMO, it probably should never be used unless you can keep the fermentation temp under 66 or so, ferm temp, not ambient temp.

EC1118 should be okay.. Used it once around 72 or so, and it was fine in a cider as well.

You'll get off flavors for sure fermenting in the mid to high 70's period, unless it's a saison strain that actually enjoys the warm temps to toss the esters and phenolic notes that are sought after. Obviously someone will chime in and say they did it once and didn't "notice" off flavors. We are all our best critics... we don't taste the flaws. If you enjoy it, then it's a success no matter. Obviously you want better beer, or you wouldn't be asking though.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 06-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
calebgk
Wishy-washy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm seeing that I have gotten complacent in my brewing, resulting in several dumped batches. I'm trying to get my diligence back and stop wasting beer. A chiller for the chamber has to be next.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebgk View Post
I'm seeing that I have gotten complacent in my brewing, resulting in several dumped batches. I'm trying to get my diligence back and stop wasting beer. A chiller for the chamber has to be next.

Thanks for the feedback.
A chiller is a must.. Regardless of climate I think.

If you can control yeast, you can make KILLER beers.. Control the pitch rate with starters, hit them with oxygen with a O2 bottle and stone, and control the temperature for ideal fermentation, and with time, the beers will be fantastic.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Quick Reply