New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Heat Wave During Secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
LukeG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Heat Wave During Secondary

I am brewing a Strong Belgian and was going for a higher temp during primary fermentation than I ever would for other beers. It's summertime after all, and I don't have much in the way of keeping my home cool. I went through primary at 80 degrees and then racked into secondary where the beer slowly blurped away for a few weeks. Fermentation was pretty much over and I was heading out of town for a week and didn't have time to bottle. While I was gone a record heat wave hit and I'm pretty sure my brew closet hit 95. From what I am reading, this would have produced some off flavors IF fermentation was still going on. My question then, how worried should I be about those high temps since fermentation was more or less complete?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

None at all....temp control is only crucial in the initial few hours of fermentation...if it was in the secondary, the beer is already fermented, meaning the yeast aren't working so they would not be stressed.

Do a search on here for swamp coolers, and you will find plenty of pics for ghetto temp control.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
None at all....temp control is only crucial in the initial few hours of fermentation...if it was in the secondary, the beer is already fermented, meaning the yeast aren't working so they would not be stressed.

Do a search on here for swamp coolers, and you will find plenty of pics for ghetto temp control.
Is it only the first few hours? I make sure to maintain temps for the first week, at least.

What about Lagers? How long is the temp critical with those?

Now that my chiller is running, maintaining temps does not take any effort.

Quick Reply