Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Heat wave!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #11
clemson51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It is 4 days shipping from AHS to SC so figured that played a role I made starters but no luck. I think I'll just start picking up from my lhbs in the summer. 40 minute drive but could be worse. I'm hoping this amber ale turns out ok. I had to use a Belgian dry yeast safbrew t58 instead of suggested American ale 1272.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #12
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 168

IMO too many people give up on their Wyeast on whether the pack has swelled or does not swell. I have had some that came partially swelled and they worked fine. I have also had a couple that didn't swell (delivered in cool weather) at all and it was also fine.

Another mistake is that when making starters sometimes all the action occurs while you are away. You might not see any action and still, all is well.

What I have for the summer months is: about 20 vials of frozen yeast. I have 6 or 7 different styles so I am not confined to a particular style. I have also just ordered some supplies and a pack of dry yeast. I also have US05 for backup.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #13
omockler
Recipes 

How do you deal with smacking your yeast when the package is swollen? Do you guys just not bother and make the starter with out smacking?

-bottled/kegged-
Savannah Peach ~ Oatmeal Stout

Old 06-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #14
scottab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySix
Seems like every time I order yeast we end up with temps over 100*. Happened again. I ordered a few things from Northern Brewer on Friday. Including a Wyeast smack pack of 1056. It was delivered yesterday and sat on my porch for a couple of hours in the sun and 101*. Ice pack was long melted and the smack pack was swelled up like a football. Guess I'll make a starter and hope the little guys survived.
I got the same smack pack this week and was also pre-inflated managed to smack fine though and have in starter right now

Old 06-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #15
WhiskeySix
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by omockler View Post
How do you deal with smacking your yeast when the package is swollen? Do you guys just not bother and make the starter with out smacking?
No smacking. I make starters and just add the little pouch of nutrients to the starter.

Semper Fi
Mark

Quick Reply