Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Heady Topper yeast harvest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #31
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApothecaryBrewing View Post
So how did the harvest go? Did you use a stir plate? What kind of steps did you use to grow the starter. I currently have a Conan harvest underway but it looks like I am not gonna get anything... a little worried.

I started with an 8 ounce starter using 1 ounce of DME then stepped it up with 16 ounces of water adn 2 ounces of DME. Gonna do a final step tonight then crash it tomorrow to see what I have, if anything.
Were you able to read my post about it? link in my sig. If you haven't gotten foam when you shake it you're going to have to increase the heat. Get it to 75 degrees or so shake the crap out of it and it'll wake up.

-Retired Homebrewer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #32
ApothecaryBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
Were you able to read my post about it? link in my sig. If you haven't gotten foam when you shake it you're going to have to increase the heat. Get it to 75 degrees or so shake the crap out of it and it'll wake up.
There has been a steady layer of foam on it since I started with some condensation forming on the walls of the flask I use. The foam doesn't look like krausen, it looks more like the head of a beer. It has been on a stir plate for 3 days by now.

I will give it a shake tonight but the stir plate should have kept everything in suspension.

Based off your blog post it appears I am rushing the process.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #33
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApothecaryBrewing View Post
There has been a steady layer of foam on it since I started with some condensation forming on the walls of the flask I use. The foam doesn't look like krausen, it looks more like the head of a beer. It has been on a stir plate for 3 days by now.

I will give it a shake tonight but the stir plate should have kept everything in suspension.

Based off your blog post it appears I am rushing the process.
That first step can be a pain but it sounds like you're good to go on to the next step. Once you get up over 500ml it seems to go normally. I've had action after a day on some, some took 5+ days. I never gave up on any of them though, and eventually something happened, and all the yeast was fine in the end.

The most common solution has been increased temperature. I've had a lot of people contact me in your same position, on this first step, and I've told them all to get it over 70 degrees and everyone reported back that next day they had results.

At this stage, you may not see much activity, you're probably not going to see a typical krausen, you would be lucky to see a few spots of brown crud on the rim at this point. The foam alone shows there is CO2 in the solution, create by some yeast. Even at the 500ml stage, you might not see a normal krausen and will have to go off CO2 and increased yeast cake size.

You should have something similar to this:

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 04-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #34
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

Yeah that looks like mine, minus the yeast layer on the bottom. It has been on a stir plate though so it may just be suspended. I will move it to a warmer spot tonight and see what happens.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:57 PM   #35
sambr0n1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Monday yeast update.

forumrunner_20130415_195624.png

Old 04-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #36
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

The taming of Conan. Just decanted this liquid and dumped a fresh 1500 mL on top of it to sit for another 5 days or so on the stir plate. So excited to use... what to brew?!

Old 04-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #37
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNickVT View Post
Agreed fresh is key! Maybe I'm just spoiled there's a reason that heady is #1 on BA. More people then just me agree!
I wouldn't put too much stock into the BA top beers list, which is clearly colored by the relative rarity of a given beer.

PtE was #1 for a while, then it was PtY...both beers difficult to get outside CA. Westy 12 held the spot for ages, and we all know how tough it is to get your hands on that. Now the flavor of the moment is Heady, another very good DIPA, but the best beer in the world? Hardly. No doubt it will be supplanted in the near future by the next white wale the beer geek can pound his chest about having all to himself.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #38
MrNickVT
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 968 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I was just trying to use as a reference. IMO PTE is overrated (through taste and multiple peoples opinions) and heady has just got something special about it. People constantly want it to harvest the yeast like this thread! Ill beat my chest for it.

From high up in the Green mountains!

Old 04-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #39
sambr0n1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree Mr. Nick. It the defense of PTE, it does have to ship across the country to get here, same with HT to get to Cali. Fresh, Heady is incredible. Although, I do have a soft spot for HF Abner.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #40
MrNickVT
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 968 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Abner is amazing man. SS#6 is my favorite so far with Abner second. I haven't tried them all so that could change lol

From high up in the Green mountains!

Quick Reply