Heady Topper/ Conan Yeast help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluelakebrewing

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I know this is a long shot, but in light of the recent BYO article I have the yearning to brew heady topper. I've heard nothing but amazingness about this beer and I am wondering if anyone has a few cans of heady topper they would be willing to trade/sell for a reasonable price, or, does anyone have a vial Of Conan yeast they would sell or trade ? I would also be interested in acquiring ECY29 but it seems very hard to come by.

Please feel free to pm me if you're interested in trading or selling heady, Conan or ecy29. Thanks y'all

I was in Princeton Homebrew on Thursday afternoon and Joe had 6 fresh vials of ECY29 in stock (Al dropped them off that day). Not sure if he sent out the ECY group email, but its worth a shot (those sell out fast). If you are getting one vial from him may as well pick up some other ECY if he still has some left. He opens at noon today (9AM PT) so I would give him a call or shoot him an email.

He had Scottish heavy, Bugfarm, British Mild, and a few others.

Conan is worth a try (and I almost picked up a vial from Joe). Having bought a case of HT coming back from Montreal, it did have an interesting peachyness about it. After the can was cold for a few days, it really subsided. You can probably achieve the similar results with US-05 fermented really cool.

Good luck!

Heady is wonderful! However, the key is in my opinion not the yeast. What makes this canned beer so special like the others included is precision of process and specifically, not mentioned in the BYO article is the Alchemists amazing ability to retain the most robust aroma hop oils in the distribution vessel. The article is great! And soaking aroma hops post boil at knockout may be a great option and/or consider a hop-back.

Ya I read the article, very motivated to try brewing this. If yeast isn't the key , what alternative strain would you suggest?

Ya I read the article, very motivated to try brewing this. If yeast isn't the key , what alternative strain would you suggest?

Yeah, Joe told me that ECY moves so fast. You should call him back today and ask to be put on his google group list. That way next time its in, you will have a better shot if you want to go the ECY route. US-05 fermented cool will give that peach note that I noticed with Conan.

Conan is kind of fickle though....sometimes its peachy, sometimes it can get belgian notes. Plus its a low floc strain so fresh HT is quite cloudy.

For the small yeast company I will be launching at the end of this month, The Yeast Bay, I am going to make a good effort to keep a rolling stock of this strain on hand at all times. I know how frustrating it is when something is always out. Hope we'll be able to alleviate some of these "out of stock" woes! We are in the process of getting our advertising up and going on HBT, so you should see us up on here shortly as a vendor.

I also agree with member sawbossFogg that a lot of great IPAs I've had are more process driven with respect to hopping technique, fermentation and packaging than strictly the strain of yeast used. That being said, Heady does have some delightful esters.

Cheers!

How did you even find this thread? :D
That last Conan thread we both posted in...it was in the similar thread links at the bottom and I just picked the one that was the oldest. I do that sometimes just to see what has or hasn’t changed... this was a pretty cool find.

Last edited:
Ah, yes. I love that :mug:
I was a big advocate for bringing the "similar threads" paradigm back when the forum moved to the XF forum runner. There's is such depth and breadth of information buried in the forums it was a shame to have it disappear for awhile...

Cheers!

Back