Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Having difficulty maintaining lager temps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
petry121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Having difficulty maintaining lager temps

Am having a little difficulty maintaining lager temps.

I just brewed a Bohemia clone and the recipe says to ferment at 52 degrees for 28 days.

Here's the problem; our outdoor chest freezer ( we have a temp regulator on it) can usually hold the temp well when the outside temp is average at night.... 40 degrees plus. But it has been pretty cold here at night 29degrees in the am. And the chest freezer gets to about 40 degrees.

My question: what can I expect from this beer if the lagering temps vary from 40 degrees to 52 daily?

I know that there are devices out there that I can wrap around the fermentor to keep it warm, but irony have the time to buy one or even make one for that matter.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 68

40 is pretty cold for even lager strains of yeast. I would insulate the fermenter as well as possible inside the chest freezer to maintain the beer temps more consistently. Wrap in sleeping bag or something similar.

Bigger question is: if you have a temp regulator on your chest freezer, why not bring it inside? Or at least garage where it might be warmer? Would make a perfect lager.

Primary #1: Empty #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3:Border Crossing Vienna
Kegged
: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Ice Shanty Bock

Old 01-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I assume you're talking about the effect of fermentation temps swinging, not lagering temps swinging, right?

I don't have first-hand experience, but everything I've read/been told indicates that you don't want to expose lager yeast to temperature swings. Recommended swing limits are a couple degrees, not a dozen. I'd find a way to stabilize, or delay brewing this beer until nature is more cooperative.

Quick Reply