Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Have you ever infected your beer/wort??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #21
HopheadNJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopheadNJ View Post
I've got 5gal of AHS Northumberland Brown in primary for just about 4 weeks now. I totally forgot that I didn't have any airlocks at the time, so I put some sanitized plastic wrap over the carboy, until I could scavenge an airlock. Like I said, totally forgot about it....Beginning to look like I may have some sort of pellicle forming now. I'm going to secondary it and see how it turns out!
This sucker is lookin' a little funky...whitish/beige film on top with multiple groups of thumbtack head sized bubbles. Funny thing is that this is only coming out now, 3.5wks (ok, maybe 4) after pitching. (Been lazy!)

Should I not use my regular siphon to rack this sucker off yeast to another carboy to let it go on with its process?

Should I even bother to secondary (I usually don't) and let whatever it is go on and look for change or should I just keg and try it out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #22
togabear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Help! I think I might have one now. Never had one before. Before I kegged my ESB it tasted nice and a little bready. After conditioning in the keg, which is brand new and never used, it has a rubbery taste.

I can't figure out if its autolysis (maybe I got to enthusiastic with racking the beer into the keg and got some of the yeast cake? Its only a 1.5 months old, so its possible), if its just the rubbery smell from the new keg (keg had that oily/rubbery smell sometimes on new metallic manufactured goods), or if its an infection because its very slightly sour/bitter too. Or all of them.

I am going to change the beer over to an older keg to see what happens. I also topped off with unboiled tap water. Don't shoot me! I used to do this all the time when I had well water and NEVER had a problem. First brew in this apartment in NYC-stupidly, it didn't occur to me at the time, but I wont do that again. But I don think that's the issue because it tasted good before the keg.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:45 PM   #23
Pivzavod
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I am all empty because I had "3" bad beers in a row.

1) French Saison I thought was infected but turned out fine.

2) Pumpkin Ale that got lambo, bottled it and after 3 weeks it tasted like ass, worse than at sampling it before bottling.

3) Belgian Wit that came out kind of sour and I kegged it and a week later it was so sour and nasty I had to dump it.

Gonna be doing another batch of sanitizing on my equipment and hopefully brew on Sunday.

Primary: 04/29 Pomegranate Nectarine Apfelwein, 05/23 Petite Saison
Secondary:
Kegs drinking: AHS Midnight Wheaten Stout 03/18 - 04/14 - 04/28,
Kegs conditioning: 01/29 - 04/29 Cranberry Apfelwein, 04/29-05/23 Petite Saison
RIP: 11/07-11/28-01/29-05/04-11/17 Flanders Brown Ale

Old 12-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #24
Pivzavod
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by togabear View Post
Help! I think I might have one now. Never had one before. Before I kegged my ESB it tasted nice and a little bready. After conditioning in the keg, which is brand new and never used, it has a rubbery taste.

I can't figure out if its autolysis (maybe I got to enthusiastic with racking the beer into the keg and got some of the yeast cake? Its only a 1.5 months old, so its possible), if its just the rubbery smell from the new keg (keg had that oily/rubbery smell sometimes on new metallic manufactured goods), or if its an infection because its very slightly sour/bitter too. Or all of them.

I am going to change the beer over to an older keg to see what happens. I also topped off with unboiled tap water. Don't shoot me! I used to do this all the time when I had well water and NEVER had a problem. First brew in this apartment in NYC-stupidly, it didn't occur to me at the time, but I wont do that again. But I don think that's the issue because it tasted good before the keg.
NYC brewers in the hizzy!

Primary: 04/29 Pomegranate Nectarine Apfelwein, 05/23 Petite Saison
Secondary:
Kegs drinking: AHS Midnight Wheaten Stout 03/18 - 04/14 - 04/28,
Kegs conditioning: 01/29 - 04/29 Cranberry Apfelwein, 04/29-05/23 Petite Saison
RIP: 11/07-11/28-01/29-05/04-11/17 Flanders Brown Ale

Old 12-03-2009, 04:21 AM   #25
Dr. Fedwell
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose_on_fire View Post
Just one, about three brews ago-- a porter that got a slimy white coating on top of it which CO2 couldn't even break through... I racked out from under it into a secondary, and it left a slimy white coating on the sides of the carboy as it drained.

It re-grew in the secondary but I bottled it anyway. It was drinkable (by which I mean I didn't go blind after I powered through the two cases of it), but sour and very thin. All of the bottles had a white ring around the neck at the waterline.

I think it was from a combination of old hoses/fittings and old/mistreated StarSan. I replaced all my hoses and made a new batch of StarSan with distilled water, and the last two brews have gone well.

I've also started using big starters and controlling ferm temps and have noticed a big up-swing in quality. That infected porter was the last batch I made with a really long lag time (just pitched a vial of liquid yeast), right in the middle of summer just fermenting in the garage.
I just had this happen twice in the last month after years of no infections ( in Hawaii the land of jungles and mold). The first was an Irish red ale that I didn't catch until it had gotten a little thick and bubbley. The second was an Irish stout that I caught and racked perty quick. They both have been kegged and chilled. The IRA is carbed and seems ok but a little dry. No nasty flavors yet. Haven't carbed the stout yet, but as an Irish I put some of that acid malt in, so it will have a little tang anyhow. But same thing with the film sticking to the sides of the carboy. From making sauerkraut, I know this as Kahm yeast. It is naturally present in the air. It is undesirable in sauerkraut but not as undesirable as in beer. It will form on glasses of beer left out for say 36 hours. I think its those damn carboy hoods. Back to stoppers.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:31 AM   #26
WillPall
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Never had a beer infection, knock on wood. However, one of my friends was looking for a cheap, household way to make some applewine so we experimented with a balloon stretched over the top of a gallon of apple juice with holes poked in it. Needless to say, we had some very wonderful apple cider vinegar.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:33 PM   #27
togabear
Recipes 

It was my bucket that caused two bad beers. Just opened my strong ale...has same flavor too and used boiled water on that one. Pissed, that was a 75 dollar beer.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #28
punk_rockin2001
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

so it seems like so far the main culprit of infections is germs hiding out in the plastics?? Interesting. I haven't replaced my plastics in a few years, maybe its time to do so!

Old 12-08-2009, 05:30 PM   #29
WillPall
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_rockin2001 View Post
I haven't replaced my plastics in a few years, maybe its time to do so!
Only if you're getting infections! I scratched my bottling bucket pretty bad about 20 batches ago. I decided to try it out (mainly because I didn't want to pay for a new one) and it still hasn't ruined a batch for me. Then again, if you have the money, buying all new plastics on a regularly basis sounds like a good idea to me.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #30
craven_morhead
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just had my first and second infected batches, with Brett. 1st one was a stout, just a little bit of an infection, and it ended up making a tasty beer. 2nd one destroyed a pale ale. I soaked the bucket in oxy and starsan in between, but it apparently didn't do the trick. Tossed the bucket.

Primary: Cascade/Amarillo IPA

Quick Reply