Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Has anyone tried S-189?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
DangerChristensen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Has anyone tried S-189?

The weather in Utah right now is absolutely perfect for lagers, my garage is at a constant 50 degrees. I was doing some reading on the Fermentis website and there was a PDF that mapped out the yeast characteristics by strain. All the usual strains were there, but there was one that I've never seen or heard of. Apparently it's a dark lager strain suited to bock's. Denny provided a link to buy it from a smaller brewing company over on the Northern Brewer board, but other than that, I can't find any reviews on this stuff. Any help would be appreciated!

P.S. been lurking the board for a while now, you guys have helped me so much!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
FREUNDOFBIER
Recipes 

Hi Danger,

You might be under their craft or industrial brewing sections. AS you said, you won't find it at a homebrew supply shop.

However, they do have two other lager yeasts, Saflager S-23 and Saflager W-34/70. The 34/70 is supposedly more of a true lager least where the S-23 is closer to an ale yeast (for making Californian common/steam beer). With the garage temps posted, no reason to think that you could not use 34/70 an obtain clean lager performance.

I have not used either of these yeast strains however i have used fermentis' T-58, S-05 and S-04 and have been extremely pleased with the quality and value of these yeasts.

That's all i got,

FOB

Old 11-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Isn't the S-189 the one they sell in bulk? I read a rave review of it, but not sure where to get it in smaller sizes.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 11-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
DangerChristensen
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
You might be under their craft or industrial brewing sections. AS you said, you won't find it at a homebrew supply shop.
I know it's an industrial yeast, but it is actually available in homebrewer sized packs. Denny provided a link over on the NB forum here.

I'm just wondering if anyone has actually tried it. I love all of Fermentis' yeasts. I have a Maris Otter/Cascade SMaSH in the garage that's a Cali. Common using S-23 (test tube samples are amazing. As per the advice found on this forum I fermented at 60 because S-23 actually gives off tons of fruit flavors at true lager temps) S-05 is my go to yeast for anything that isn't completely driven by the yeast profile. The amount of ready to pitch yeast for the price is unbeatable.

Anyway, I was just looking for opinions before I spend the time and money on a brew with it.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I just had a dozen packages of S-189 shipped to me from American Brewmaster. I am looking forward to trying it soon--supposed to be good for malty lagers. Apparently the strain is equivalent to WLP 885 Zurich Lager. I love W-34/70 but thought I would give this strain a try.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 11-07-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I've used it twice, with awful results both times. Slow to start, a flabby texture and a very strong apple ester in the finished beer.

The yeast may have been old or infected, since it was clearly repackaged from a 500g brick by a homebrew store. I might try it again, but definitely not with a full batch of triple-decocted doppelbock or double pilsner.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:42 AM   #7
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety

Recipes 

Think I'll do a 10g light lager or pils next and ferment 5 gallons with S-189 and 5 with W-34/70.

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 11-08-2011, 02:19 AM   #8
DangerChristensen
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944play
I've used it twice, with awful results both times. Slow to start, a flabby texture and a very strong apple ester in the finished beer.

The yeast may have been old or infected, since it was clearly repackaged from a 500g brick by a homebrew store. I might try it again, but definitely not with a full batch of triple-decocted doppelbock or double pilsner.
Where did you get the yeast from? LHBS or some online source? It seems like Fermentis doesn't quite have their lager yeasts dialed in. I absoluetly love S-23 but not for normal lagers, just california commons. I've heard nothing but bad things about it from people who've used it as instructed.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:36 AM   #9
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerChristensen

Where did you get the yeast from?
American Brewmaster.

I've been so chuffed with 2308 that it would take a lot for me to try or even point someone towards much else, let alone something that let me down in the past.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:45 AM   #10
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerChristensen View Post
I absoluetly love S-23 but not for normal lagers, just california commons. I've heard nothing but bad things about it from people who've used it as instructed.
I used S-23 in a pils that turned out great. I fermented in the mid-50s though. I have another pils lagering that I used S-23 with fermented in the mid-40s--just wanted to see if it was a fruity as everyone thinks. Didn't taste fruity to me after the d-rest, but we'll see how it turns out.

Overall I have had great luck with Fermentis dry lager yeasts so far. Hopefully S-189 is as good as I expect.

@evilgoatbrewing

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS