Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Harvesting yeast from starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
sorefingers23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Harvesting yeast from starter

Here was a thread on here about a month ago about harvesting yeast from a yeast starter but I can't seem to find it.

I want to know how long I could store the yeast like that? Is it only for a few week or could I store up to a few months? I would like to build a small yeast bank but only brew about 2 times a month and can't always use them with in a week or two.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Most of the info I read says the yeast is good for many months, up to a year. In a lot of cases, guys said that they used yeast over a year old and it did fine.

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 12-31-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
HopOnHops
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think a few months should be fine, I harvest my yeast this way and have used a 2 month old harvest. I hear 6 months to a year you'd want to make another one

Old 12-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Look up the thread about freezing yeast for long term storage. I have a dozen vials of Wyeast 1882-PC in my freezer right now. I need to put a recipe up that will use one for the next batch (after the one on deck) to see how they're holding up. With freezing the yeast, you can use far less space and just make a starter (or two) to get the cell count up to where you need before pitching.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-01-2013, 02:49 AM   #5
seatbelt123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorefingers23 View Post
Here was a thread on here about a month ago about harvesting yeast from a yeast starter but I can't seem to find it.

I want to know how long I could store the yeast like that? Is it only for a few week or could I store up to a few months? I would like to build a small yeast bank but only brew about 2 times a month and can't always use them with in a week or two.
I just posted some pics of my 2 month old yeast. It took off like a champ. The thread you're looking for has been replaced by an "article."

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/brulosophers-yeast-harvesting-testimony-377704/

Quick Reply