Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Harvesting yeast from commercial beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 12:41 AM   #11
surtur
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

dp

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 12:52 AM   #12
surtur
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

considering when i asked the question and 60 people looked at my post no one answered and when i googled all i found was pretty much nothing.
all i ever found was when getting a beer from commercial breweries you might not be getting the proper strain. i think several hits were from here and some people said yes good to go and some said no it is a conditioning yeast ...
but yeah i am a noob and i am constantly learning and getting more information on the whole proses of brewing.
no need to give the whole F noobs rant. ( i know how to google how do you think i found this site.)

Old 11-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I forgot, there's also THIS THREAD that folks try to update on occasion. It's a little more recent than the one I posted prior. And it lists a few Hefe yeasts that have been confirmed as being viable in there.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-25-2012, 01:04 AM   #14
kirkosaurus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterSense
I'm in the middle of doing this with Sierra Nevada Kellerweis yeast. I just mixed up a 1-liter starter, poured 2 bottles except for the last 1/2 inch and and swirled the remainder around in there and then pitched it into the starter. I did the same thing with the rest of the 6-pack over the next few days. It probably took 2 days for it to really get going. I added another liter to it 3 days ago and i'll probably brew with it tomorrow. It smells really nice.
Not sure about the Kellerweis but Sierra Nevada filters their APA then adds a different yeast at bottling for carbonation. You may not be getting the same yeast that the beer was fermented with.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:51 AM   #15
BetterSense
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, for what it's worth the starter smells and tastes very similar to the real deal, so at this point I'm convinced it's the fermentation strain.

I thought Sierra Nevada Pale ale was filtered, anyway.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:51 AM   #16
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 258 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you don't know how to do a starter, I would not bother with harvesting commercial bottled yeast.

Assuming you can make a starter. For bottled yeast, unless the bottle is really fresh, you should use a starter wot about half that you would normally use. I can my wort, and if I harvest from a bottle, I mix half the starter wort with cooled water from my kettle. Starter wort for harvesting bottled yeast should be about 1.020.

You only need 1 bottle to grow yeast from. More = better chance of success. I generally add the dregs (last quarter to half inch of bottle) of a few bottles together and add about 6 ozs of 1.020 wort, aerate, and cover with foil. If the yeast is old it can take a few days, even a week to get going. If you don't see any activity, don't assume it failed; check the gravity of the wort/beer to see if it did anything.

Kellerweise has viable yeast. I've cultured it. Problem with that yeast is trying to get it to perform how SN did. I never had much success, not sure if it is temperature dependent, or something to do with their open fermenters.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:18 AM   #17
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn View Post
Could I use "yeast feed" from my local HBS if I don't want to bother with mixing up wort every couple of days? They are little $1.49 each packets you buy to feed your yeast and keep them active, would that work instead of adding more wort? Though, I guess additional wort would be cheaper. Oh, and provide more "room to grow"?

Thanks so much, this help tremendously!
You wouldn't need to make more wort each time, although that's what I do.
You could make a gallon and put it in the fridge. Take some out when you need it, let it warm up and add it to the starter.

I've never grown a starter quite like what you want to do, but I have had my starter going and had brew day delayed for a week or so. I just kept stepping up the starter to keep it going and happy.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 11-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #18
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Quote:
If you don't know how to do a starter, I would not bother with harvesting commercial bottled yeast.
I want to try it for the first time, because I feel like I need to learn this stuff. I know what I read about making a starter, but don't understand why I have to do it that way and not sure that I'm understanding the terms properly. {Insert stupid question here} I can follow directions well, so will do it that way, just wanted to know what my other options were if I was trying to harvest straight from the bottle and I like the "plain English" tips people have offered. And I don't really know why I should learn how to make a starter from something I can just go out and buy, except to speed up the process once I start a brew and I'm really not in a big hurry. I want my pale ale to taste more like what Sweet Waters makes and I thought harvesting their yeast would be the first step.

I am learning from all the comments even if it doesn't seem like it by my questions. My local shop has printed instructions but I'm having trouble understanding the reasoning behind it, and why do I have to do it that way? And, when I read directions on other sites, it's not the exact same method I learned, or thought I understood from reading.

I don't think Sweet Water filters their beer, because if they did, all that sediment would not be on the bottom. There is too much there to just be using it for carbonation.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #19
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Quote:
You could make a gallon and put it in the fridge. Take some out when you need it, let it warm up and add it to the starter.
I didn't realize I could do this, thanks!!!

Old 11-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #20
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn

And I don't really know why I should learn how to make a starter from something I can just go out and buy, except to speed up the process once I start a brew and I'm really not in a big hurry.
The reason most people make a starter is so that they can pitch the proper amount of yeast.
Pitching in the proper amount of yeast helps make sure they get a good healthy start and don't cause off flavors by being stressed.
Depending on the beer your brewing, One or two packages might not be nearly enough yeast.
A starter is the way to multiply the number of yeast cells that you have.
Another reason for a starter is so the yeast kicks off fast and start the fermentation and produces the layer of CO2 that helps protect the wort from infection.
One reason that I liked always make a starter is so that I know I have good viable yeast when I pitch it.
It's just an easy step that helps make sure your beer gets off to a good start.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Quick Reply