Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Harvesting yeast, but pellets in fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
Moose1231
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Harvesting yeast, but pellets in fermenter

Hello, I intend to harvest my yeast for the first time. I normally brew with whole hops, but this time I used pellets. When I transferred the wort in my fermenter, I didn't filter all the pellets and now I can see a 3 inch layer of pellet residue in the bottom. Is there a way to harvest my yeast anyway or I screwed up and I should do a better job on the filtering next time?

Thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Depends on how you plan on harvesting the yeast. If you wash it then you will be fine but if you just reuse the yeast cake then depending on how much hop is in the trub it might flavor the next beer weird.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Moose1231
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I will wash the yeast. But when I'm gonna pour the trub in my jar to let it settle, won't there be some pellets left in my yeast?

Old 01-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

No the hops will settle down to the bottom and then you pour the liquid into another container. The liquid you have poured off will contain enough yeast in suspension that when you plop it in the fridge it will settle out and have enough for a starter.

I just use the yeast cake though since it is simpler for me. When I dump the wort in my fermenter I dump it through a paint strainer bag filtering the hops out. When I transfer into a secondary I leave a couple of cups of beer on the yeast cake and then slosh that around mixing it up real good. I then put the mixed up trub in pint jars and drop them into the fridge. For the beer I make I just grab a pint of yeast and pour it all into the new batch

I pretty much stick with the same beers all the time though so this might not work for you if you change the gravities and colors of the beer much

Old 01-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Yup hops trub will settle. I usually start with a gallon growler, dump the yeast slurry (with trub), and sanitized water. Shake it abit, and set the timer for 15min, the trub will settle. Pour the good yeast (leaving the trub behind) into a 1/2 gallon growler, repeat the process. Then I fill up my mason jars with the now washed yeast, and cap. After acouple days the yeast will settle leaving a layer on the bottom, of the jar.

ManasquanRiverBrewingllc@outlook.com

"Maker of the Original "Manasquan River Paddle", an all hand made, hand shaped & contoured, mash paddle. Designed for home brewers by a brewer"

Available thru the Fine Folks at MoreBeer! Inc., and Love2Brew.com.

Also available thru select Local Home Brew Stores
World Wide.

Wholesale inquiries welcome.

Like us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ManasquanRiverBrewingLLC?ref=hl

Old 01-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
The_Cleveland_Brew_Shop
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by patthebrewer View Post
Yup hops trub will settle. I usually start with a gallon growler, dump the yeast slurry (with trub), and sanitized water. Shake it abit, and set the timer for 15min, the trub will settle. Pour the good yeast (leaving the trub behind) into a 1/2 gallon growler, repeat the process. Then I fill up my mason jars with the now washed yeast, and cap. After acouple days the yeast will settle leaving a layer on the bottom, of the jar.
Nailed it!

Old 01-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #7
Moose1231
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thx guys, i'll try that tomorow!

Quick Reply