Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Harvesting yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
killerzeek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Harvesting yeast

HI

Is it possible to harvest the yeast from a bottle of store bought beer? Say from a Sierra Nevada Hefenwivzen or Duval.

If so, how is i done?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
eager_brewer
Face down on the floor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I don't think you can do this. First there would need to be some left in the bottom of the bottle and I think the ammount would be way to small to do any good.

Upnext:Double Bastard Clone
Primary: Empty
Primary:Empty
Secondary: Empty
Secondary:Double Bastard CLone
Kegged: DFH 60 min Clone
Kegged: AHBS Pallisade IPA

Old 01-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You can from some beers. Here's an outdated list, and one of many, many threads on this topic. Search around and you'll find more!

EDIT: Oh, and here's a nice BYO article on the process.

Last edited by Palefire; 01-30-2010 at 06:31 PM.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerzeek View Post
HI

Is it possible to harvest the yeast from a bottle of store bought beer? Say from a Sierra Nevada Hefenwivzen or Duval.

If so, how is i done?
I've done it numerous times. One of the hardest is Duvel, at least for me. Westmalle is pretty dang hard, as well!

Sierra Nevada uses the "Chico" strain which is (or is very close to) Wyeast 1056, WLP001, and US-05 for most of their beers and it is pretty easy to harvest. I don't know if they use it their Hefe or not, though.

In my experience, the more "local" the beer, the easier it is to culture yeast...

Old 01-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
VolFan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've harvested Duvel yeast with a stirplate using the dregs (~1/4" of left over liquid) from a 4pack. I have made 3 different batches with the yeast, they have all been great. Recommend the stirplate though, works well with these small quantities of yeast. It can take 2 or 3 days on the stirplate for the yeast to take off, it is very obvious with the belgian yeasts.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerzeek View Post
HI

If so, how is i done?
Absolutely, it is possible. For many years, that was the only way I could get good yeast, and I did it every time.
Obviously, you have to start with a bottle of naturally conditioned beer that has live yeast in the bottom. The problem is that some of these beers use a different variety of yeast for carbonation than they do for brewing, so you may not get the results that you want. However, if you get good results with a particular brand, then those results should be consistent.

It isn't particularly difficult to do, but it does take some patience.
Start by drinking the beer, being careful to leave as much of the yeast behind as possible. Then make a small starter (I used to make a 6 fl oz starter using about 1/2 oz DME to 6 fl oz water, and fermented in a 12 oz bottle loosely covered to prevent bacteria dropping in). Giving the bottle a swirl every time you pass by speeds the process up. After 4 - 5 days, your small starter should have multiplied considerably, and can be stepped up.
To step up, I prepared about 1 qt fresh wort using 3.5 oz DME to 1 qt water in a half gallon jug, and transfer the original starter into the fresh wort, cover loosely, and wait another 4 - 5 days (again giving it a swirl as often as possible). If you have a stir plate, you can cut down the 4 - 5 day periods down to 1 - 2 days, and you will end up with more yeast.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:08 AM   #7
killerzeek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alright, I'll going to try it. Thanks for the information. I'll post the results

Quick Reply