Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Harvesting Rogue Pacman from bottle - what I learned

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #71
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

I have harvested from Brutal IPA and Shakespear Stout, both succesfully. Another good piece of advice is not to overwhelm the yeast with a quart of starter. I like to put my dredges, depending on how many I have, in 8-16 oz of 1.035 starter wort with a touch of nutrient just to get the party started. I also keep it just a little warmer then normal, like 70 degrees to encourage activity.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #72
bh10
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Fyi, I was able to haverst some pacman from 2 12oz dead guy bottles, took about 1.5 weeks, but after using about 1.040og of 400mL, saw nothing of airlock activity, so I stepped it up to 650mL and airlock is bubbling nicely.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #73
frailn
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I had success harvesting Pacman from two Rogue Mocha Porter bombers. I let them sit out on the counter for a couple of days, undisturbed, then carefully poured them, leaving an inch in the bottle.

Then, I recapped them and put them in the fridge for a week.

After a week, I uncapped them, swirled vigorously, then poured those dregs into DME starter wort in a sanitized pint mason jar. I let that go for two days. Not much activity. Then, I swirled this up and stepped it up to a quart mason jar of DME starter. Now, activity started showing. I stepped it up again to 2 2-quart mason jars. So, I treated it like a starter, I guess.

Once done, I split up the yeast into four 1-pint mason jars and put them in the fridge to go to sleep for a few weeks.

I pulled out two 1-pint mason jars and made a big starter out of these for my last brew. The started ended up being half-gallon after step up. I didn't use a stir plate, just the shake-bottle method every time I thought about it.

It turned out great so far. When I pitched it I got vigorous fermentation and dropped my wort from 1.064 to 1.015 in ten days. Kept the temp around 63 degrees. Would have preferred 60, but just can't get it that low with my set up at the moment. On day 8, the temp went up to 70 due to a weather change and stayed there for two days. That was not intentional, but may have been good for the brew (diacetyl rest?) not sure.

Either way, I love harvesting this yeast and using it!

Quick Reply