*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Harvesting Rogue Pacman from bottle - what I learned

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #11
Synovia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
What trouble? $6 gets you a nice 22 oz bomber of delicious beer with free yeast. It's like getting the beer for free!

No, it is a little trouble to cultivate...but well worth it. Part of me thinks you get a more authentic strain if you harvest from their bottles then from Wyeast. I have no proof or evidence...it is just a hunch.
I'm pretty sure that Wyeast is maintaining Rogue's yeast bank. IE, Rogue buys pacman from Wyeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
What trouble? $6 gets you a nice 22 oz bomber of delicious beer with free yeast. It's like getting the beer for free!

No, it is a little trouble to cultivate...but well worth it. Part of me thinks you get a more authentic strain if you harvest from their bottles then from Wyeast. I have no proof or evidence...it is just a hunch.
Wyeast maintains the Pacman culture. So if you get it from them you are getting what Rogue gets when the decide to go back to the original culture. If you get it form Rogue bottles, you are getting yeast that is N generations away from the original culture.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #13
permo
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
Wyeast maintains the Pacman culture. So if you get it from them you are getting what Rogue gets when the decide to go back to the original culture. If you get it form Rogue bottles, you are getting yeast that is N generations away from the original culture.
So there is certainly a difference between yeast from wyeast and what is harvested from a bottle of rogue beer.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:06 PM   #14
FreeM80s
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
If you get it form Rogue bottles, you are getting yeast that is N generations away from the original culture.
Question: If i was planning on using the yeast i harvested from a bottle in a pale ale that I was going to use the cake from to pitch a barley wine on, then I should make the PA higher ABV than the brutal bitter? Or would this just be a bad idea and I should buy some smackpacks?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:09 PM   #15
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeM80s View Post
Question: If i was planning on using the yeast i harvested from a bottle in a pale ale that I was going to use the cake from to pitch a barley wine on, then I should make the PA higher ABV than the brutal bitter? Or would this just be a bad idea and I should buy some smackpacks?
Make the pale ale somewhere lower than the brutal bitter, maybe 1.050-1.055. This way your yeast won't be stressed out from high alcholol exposure and converting tons of maltose into CO2 and alcohol. This way you will have a very healthy cake for the BW.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #16
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
So there is certainly a difference between yeast from wyeast and what is harvested from a bottle of rogue beer.
No.

Rogue throws the yeast out when they can detect a difference. If you harvest from the bottle, you're less likely to get a yeast that behaves like Rogue wants Pacman to.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:31 PM   #17
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
No.

Rogue throws the yeast out when they can detect a difference. If you harvest from the bottle, you're less likely to get a yeast that behaves like Rogue wants Pacman to.
Ohh good. I am glad there isn't a difference.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #18
mojotele
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'd think there's a potential difference in that the yeast you get out of the bottle is more likely to mutate on you sooner.

Not sure if that's a significant difference, though.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #19
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojotele View Post
I'd think there's a potential difference in that the yeast you get out of the bottle is more likely to mutate on you sooner.

Not sure if that's a significant difference, though.
Is mutation a good thing or a bad thing? Let's say I take this pacman yeast and ferment my first batch at 60 degrees, which I am doing...and the next at 58, the next at 57..etc..etc..until I hit fifty degrees. Do you think that the yeast will mutate and adapt to the cooler conditions?

This certainly is not my plan, the folks at rogue ferment at 60 degrees so that is my plan for this yeast.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #20
mojotele
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Is mutation a good thing or a bad thing? Let's say I take this pacman yeast and ferment my first batch at 60 degrees, which I am doing...and the next at 58, the next at 57..etc..etc..until I hit fifty degrees. Do you think that the yeast will mutate and adapt to the cooler conditions?

This certainly is not my plan, the folks at rogue ferment at 60 degrees so that is my plan for this yeast.
Depends on the mutation and what you wanted out of the yeast.

If a mutation happens that affects flavor, and you were really expecting the flavors given by the original strain, then it is probably a bad thing regardless of if the flavors attributed by the new strain are good or not. Others not expecting anything in particular may find it to be a happy surprise.

A mutation that causes less flocculation could be bad times for someone who wanted a super clear beer. But for someone expecting a cloudy beer it could be just what they wanted.

Probably the only truly bad thing is you never know what the heck is going to happen.

Quick Reply