The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Harvesting Conan...first attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013, 04:31 AM   #1
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Harvesting Conan...first attempt

Just started my first attempt at yeast harvesting Friday since a buddy hooked me up with some Heady. Now that it has been a few days I have some questions.

When I got home today there were three or four new white specks floating on the surface. I shook the flask and they feel to the bottom and have stayed there. Is this yeast or am I growing something else?

Over the past 24 hours the foam that forms when I swirl the flask has increased greatly. Does this mean it is working? If I remember correctly this is CO2 from the yeast coming out if solution, right?

If it is indeed working, should I go ahead and step it up our wait until this step finishes? I started with two cups of 1.04 wort. What size should I step up to?

I believe I'm going to drink another can tomorrow night. Would it hurt/help if I added the yeast from that can to my existing batch?

Thanks for any input/advice!

Untappd: mtate37 - Untappd Wishlist

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
droder1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/con...iences-397947/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/hea...arvest-404411/

Foam = CO2 yes, its working. Generally all sugars are consumed in 24 hours on a stirplate, less so without one. No harm in letting it sit 3 days.

Hard to say what the white specks would be. Yeast will settle out and appear on the bottom.

I would not add new yeast to the existing batch. Keep each culture separate.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply