Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Harvesting Bell's - Collect dregs THEN pitch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
bmick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Harvesting Bell's - Collect dregs THEN pitch?

I recently ordered 2 6-ers of bell's, Amer and Two-Hearted, since they're fantastic and you can't get them here in NY. I want to harvest the yeast, but i'd also like to enjoy the beers 1-2 at a time. Can I just sanitize a mason jar, pour out the dregs 1-2 beers at a time, and once I have 6-7 beers worth, pitch them into a weak starter? I figure the co2 released by the dregs (with maybe 1/2 oz of beer each time) will blanket the mixture in the mason jar and it should be fine. Will that work?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

If you make a small enough starter, 2 beers should be plenty enough to start a culture. I'm talking no more than 100mL to begin with, then stepping up from there. That's how I start all of my commercial harvests and generally have pretty good success.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I agree, 2 or 3 bottles should suffice. Maybe not worth the contamination risk to keep a jar of dregs laying around.

I harvested Bells from their Best Brown. I pitched dregs from 2 bottles into a 1 pint starter (maybe a tad too large). Then added the dregs from a third bottle the next day. That was plenty to get it going nicely. I stepped it up 2 more times (1 qt and 1.5 qt) and had a thick layer of yeast to pitch. Fermented my pale ale beautifully. From that I had lots of yeast to wash and pitch into my 2 Hearted clone.

Primary #1: Cascadian Dark Ale #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Empty
Kegged
: Irish Red
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne
On Deck: Spruced Winter Warmer

Old 01-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
bmick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In that case, guess what has two thumbs and is drinking a few Bell's tonight?

THIS GUY.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2017 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 1100

This is probably not the best practice, but I pour nearly all the beer into a glass, saving a bit of liquid, place the cap back on and set it back in the fridge.

After I get 4-6 bottles I swish them all up and pour them in a flask with some starter wort.

After a couple of days it's time to add more wort.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

This old answer should give you an idea.

Quote:
One thing I have found that helps in successful harvesting, is to use the slurry from multiple bottles of the same beer. I did a really successful Hoegaarden harvest from 12 bottles. What I would do is after pouring the beer into a glass, I would spray the lip of the bottle with starsan and then re-cap with a sanitized cap. Then store in the fridge until I had enough bottles. Then on harvest day I would spray the caps again with starsan, open them, flame the lip of the bottles, and re-spray with sanitizer, then pour the dregs into my starter. I started drinking on Monday, and had enough to make the harvest on Saturday.

I ended up with 2 good sized mason jars with yeast. It's made some really tasty wits since then.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply