Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > harvested yeast starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
Strecker25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default harvested yeast starter

Im a little concerned about a starter made from my first yeast washing attempt.

Its Dennys favorite from wyeast and was used in denny's rye IPA first, I washed it, decanted, and chilled for a few days and made a 2l starter with it last night.

The aroma of the stater isnt necessarily "bad" but just seems a little off, so i tasted a little of it to see. Its not awful, just tastes like stale labbats light, and has a bitterness from the previous batch it was used in.

Im wondering if it may be infected (off smell) or would that taste be so bad i'd know right away? And I'm also wondering if i got too much trub into the yeast if it could really ruin the batch i plan on using this starter in. (NB all grain irish red ale)

thanks everyone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 01:13 AM   #2
theredben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sounds about right for a starter. They don't smell or taste the same as they do in beer. How much slurry did you use/how big was your starter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply