The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > harvested yeast that sat in fridge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
scottab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default harvested yeast that sat in fridge

I harvested yeast white labs wpl001 4th generation and had it in my fridge for about 1 month to maybe 2 months. I opened the jar and it smelled almost meaty. I figured the smell was due to the yeast beginning to break down and whatever trub that didn't get washed out also breaking down. I decided to make a starter to see if it was viable and to harvest fresh yeast before i brew my next batch. I can't tell if there has been any activity and was thinking i would take a gravity reading to confirm. Is it possible that a 1l starter fermented out in less than 24 hours? With all said would you use this starter in a new batch of wort?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
wolfman_48442
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Take your gravity reading for sure.
If the gravity looks good and the starter smells nice and yeasty, I'd have no problem using it.
If you do indeed have viable yeast that you've awakened, they will happily consume their fallen, meaty-smelling brethren.
You may want to do a second stage to ensure your cell counts are where they need to be based on starting gravity of your beer, etc.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
scottab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman_48442 View Post
Take your gravity reading for sure.
If the gravity looks good and the starter smells nice and yeasty, I'd have no problem using it.
If you do indeed have viable yeast that you've awakened, they will happily consume their fallen, meaty-smelling brethren.
You may want to do a second stage to ensure your cell counts are where they need to be based on starting gravity of your beer, etc.
I was def thinking a second stage starter since i'm going to be brewing a falconer's flight.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:07 AM   #4
scottab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Bumping thread

Quick Reply