Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Harvested yeast questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
joyceman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Harvested yeast questions

I brewed a batch of Belgian Wit with 3944 for a special occasion a couple of months ago which turned out to be a real crowd pleaser. I hadnt planned on doing another batch, but got such a good response I decided to try one more before the end of the summer.

The yeast cake was long gone, so I took the bottom 1/2 inch of sediment from three of my 36oz fliptops (3944 produces alot of sediment) and mixed them together and kept them in the fridge.

I've never used harvested yeast before and hoped someone could clue me in on the process? I assume I need a starter, but are there any concerns about overpitching? Will the shelf life of the yeast be roughly the same as washed yeast from a cake?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 213 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 281

the easiest way to go from this to a starter is as follows...
mix a quart of bottled or sanitized water with one cup DME. keep in a sealed container. add 1/2 cup of this wort to your bottle with yeast in it. wait 12 hours, add another 1/2 cup. then move to a bigger container and keep doing this, bumping up to 1 cup at a time. you'll have a nice size starter by the time you're done

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply