Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Harvested yeast from La Fin du Monde

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
icarus13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Harvested yeast from La Fin du Monde

I'm making an extract clone of La Fin du Monde. Since wyeast 3864 isn't available now, I decided to try to harvest the yeast from a bottle. I started with a 150 ml wort and the dregs of 1 bottle. I didn't think it worked, but finally got some pretty good activity after 6 says. I then transfered the dregs of that to a 750 mL wort and it took off immediately. After 2 days, activity has subsided (that's where I'm at now). My intent is to decant the liquid and pitch the yeast into my 5 gal wort tonight.

My concern is that if i have enough viable yeast for this beer. I spent close to $70 on ingredients and don't want to ruin it. One thing I'm considering is pitching the yeast and letting it go, but if for whatever reason the fermentation gets stuck, I have a vial of wlp530 on hand to make a yeast starter.

Any suggestions? Am I worrying too much. FWIW the beer tasted really good from the 150ml starter. OG should be around 1.09. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by icarus13; 06-12-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Geordan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've often considered this, as I'm a huge fan of LFDM (as well as Trois Pistoles), but I've held off as I am concerned about the yeast health in a beer as big as LFDM. Additionally, I'm not sure that there will have been enough growth; dregs from one bottle into a 150ml step and then just one more 750ml step feels like it's going to leave you drastically underpitching, especially with a 1.090 beer -- you're going to need over 300 billion cells to properly pitch for that batch, according to yeastcalc. I would strongly consider a third step up to at least 2L (maybe even 3) and letting that finish out before decanting and pitching; it should get you a lot closer to that 300b cell mark.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

I'd also suggest making a much bigger starter.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
maida7
Recipes 

FYI wyeast 3864 is the unibroue strain

Old 06-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus13 View Post
I'm making an extract clone of La Fin du Monde. Since wyeast 3864 isn't available now, I decided to try to harvest the yeast from a bottle. I started with a 150 ml wort and the dregs of 1 bottle. I didn't think it worked, but finally got some pretty good activity after 6 says. I then transfered the dregs of that to a 750 mL wort and it took off immediately. After 2 days, activity has subsided (that's where I'm at now). My intent is to decant the liquid and pitch the yeast into my 5 gal wort tonight.

My concern is that if i have enough viable yeast for this beer. I spent close to $70 on ingredients and don't want to ruin it. One thing I'm considering is pitching the yeast and letting it go, but if for whatever reason the fermentation gets stuck, I have a vial of wlp530 on hand to make a yeast starter.

Any suggestions? Am I worrying too much. FWIW the beer tasted really good from the 150ml starter. OG should be around 1.09. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'd keep stepping it up until you have the appropriate sized starter for that brew.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
thetragichero
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

about to bottle a belgian table beer that i used the dregs of two bottles (trois pistoles and fin du monde)
like yourself, at first i thought it was a lost cause, but then that stuff started GOING TO TOWN!
even got good attenuation, so stick to it!

Old 06-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
icarus13
Recipes 

Thanks for the advise everyone. Looks like I'll make a 2.5L starter. I figured that is what I needed to do, but I was hoping to have this beer kegged by July 14. Looks like I might miss my deadline.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
bchurch
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus13
Thanks for the advise everyone. Looks like I'll make a 2.5L starter. I figured that is what I needed to do, but I was hoping to have this beer kegged by July 14. Looks like I might miss my deadline.
It's best to let it age for a little while anyway. It will be good after a couple weeks but give it a couple months and hot damn!

Old 06-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
maida7
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus13 View Post
I see no reason why you can't meet that deadline. Do the starter now. Brew tomorrow. Ferment for 2 weeks and put it in a keg. About a week to carb and it will be ready to drink.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
icarus13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchurch View Post
It's best to let it age for a little while anyway. It will be good after a couple weeks but give it a couple months and hot damn!
I would like to keg it in 4 weeks, but will only need a gallon by then. Will it still continue to age well in the keg as if it were still bulk aging in the secondary? Or, perhaps I should rack 1 gallon in 4 weeks and then let the remaining 4 gal age 1-2 more months?

Quick Reply