Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Harvested starters

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
RGillette10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Default Harvested starters

I really like the idea of harvesting yeast from bottle conditioned beers when trying to reproduce a style. Yesterday we pitched a Paulaner Hefe harvested starter in with a vial of WL Hefe strain. Do any of you regularly harvest yeast as opposed to purchasing? I guess I feel like if I'm going to go through the trouble of making a starter, I might as well harvest.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Found this on another forum posted by Zapp Branigan:

"Be careful, the vast majority of hefeweizens are filtered and then reprimed with a non-primary strainn for bottling. A lager yeast is normally used. The only weizen I know for sure that uses the primary strain (apart from Echter, which I was unaware of until now, cheers 6470zzy) is Schneiderweisse. The yeast in a Paulaner/Erdinger will not be the primary strain sadly. I'm not sure about Edelweiss."

Old 07-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
RGillette10
Recipes 

This site isn't totally clear, but seemed to indicate Paulaner was harvestable. http://www.nada.kth.se/~alun/Beer/Bottle-Yeasts/

The good news is I'll be able to let you know how it turns out. The bad news is if it turns out good, I won't know if it is because of the harvested Paulaner or the WL.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1020 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 2711

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGillette10 View Post
I really like the idea of harvesting yeast from bottle conditioned beers when trying to reproduce a style. Yesterday we pitched a Paulaner Hefe harvested starter in with a vial of WL Hefe strain. Do any of you regularly harvest yeast as opposed to purchasing? I guess I feel like if I'm going to go through the trouble of making a starter, I might as well harvest.
People do this all of the time. If you do a search on this forum, there are lists of brands that can be harvested. I'm going to be doing it with one of my own homebrews soon, since I don't have anymore of that yeast strain...

Old 07-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 679 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 171

You have conflicting things going on here.

Harvesting yeast from commercially bottled beers can save you from having to buy yeast. But, what is the sense in doing that, if you're adding a White Labs yeast.

As already stated, you need to know whether the yeast in the bottle is the fermenting yeast, or if it is priming yeast.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
RGillette10
Recipes 

Yeah, we weren't sure that the WL vial or the starter was going to be sufficient on its own. Figured it would be better to overpitch than underpitch.

Quick Reply