Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Hard Lemonade Yeast Cake for Hard Cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
bdbogart
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hard Lemonade Yeast Cake for Hard Cider?

Hello!

I currently have a hard lemonade bubbling away - it's just 10 cans of lemonade concentrate, 2 lbs of corn sugar and 1lb light DME (OG 1.060). I used a wyeast champagne yeast. I want to make a simple hard cider next - would it be safe to just make the hard cider on the hard lemonade yeast cake, or would it give my cider a lemonade flavor?

I also have a hef going and was thinking of using that yeast; however, it's a german hef yeast and I don't know if it would impart too much of the hef flavor onto the cider.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
pabloj13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbogart View Post
Hello!

I currently have a hard lemonade bubbling away - it's just 10 cans of lemonade concentrate, 2 lbs of corn sugar and 1lb light DME (OG 1.060). I used a wyeast champagne yeast. I want to make a simple hard cider next - would it be safe to just make the hard cider on the hard lemonade yeast cake, or would it give my cider a lemonade flavor?

I also have a hef going and was thinking of using that yeast; however, it's a german hef yeast and I don't know if it would impart too much of the hef flavor onto the cider.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Personally I wouldn't. It's going to likely finish around 8% ABV and have been exposed to some pretty nasty conditions. I would just get a fresh packet of dry yeast for the cider. The hef might be interesting. Found this.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply