Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Halfway fermented maibock, have to move

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 02:42 AM   #1
Risa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Halfway fermented maibock, have to move

I'm three weeks into fermenting a maibock, and so far so good... It's racked to secondary, happy at lager temps, and normally I'd just forget about it for another month or so...

BUT

Due to unforseen circumstances, I have to move this week. It's just across town, but there's a substantial layer of sediment that I don't want to disturb. It's also about ten points above it's final gravity, which makes me think that just bottling it is not the best idea. Also, I'm not positive I'll have a great place to lager in my new house that's cold but not freezing. I've also considered racking it again, but I've only got a plastic fermenter to move it into (it's already in my only glass carboy) and I'm worried about it picking up off flavors from finishing up the lager process in plastic.

Any advice, thoughts, or prior semi-relevant experiences would be much appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

if you kick up the sediment it will fall right back down again so i would just move it to the new place and keep it cold. what i wouldn't do it move into another fermentor unless it's flushed with CO2 gas first.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Risa
Recipes 

Thanks, I'd just worried about mixing the dead yeast into the beer and not about oxidation. Looks like a gentle trip across town is in order...

Old 01-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

the yeast are probably not dead just dormant. you could use that same yeast to make another maibock or whatever other beer the yeast is appropriate for, pitch into some fresh wort and off you go.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Plus, if it is indeed not through with fermenting the rousing of that dormant yeast ought to guarantee success. Don't worry about things you can't change, you must move, so load that puppy up and prepare for some awesome brew!

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Quick Reply