New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Greyish Black Starter- Thames Valley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
jermillion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Greyish Black Starter- Thames Valley

Has anyone experienced a very dark starter. I am using Wyeast Thames Valley. I burned a bit of the malt on the bottom of my beaker, but after things settled it came out a medium brown color after finishing the boil. The next morning it turned greyish black and has now cleared to a dark coffee.

I haven't checked the smell and I have a packet of dried yeast on hand to use tomorrow if it smells weird. But I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
diegobonatto

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Never happens to me, but I think that is better to prepare a new wort to add yeast. Burn wort itself should not affect yeast growth. I wondering if you add your dark starter to the wort, you will also add off-flavors (burnt taste/aroma), which is not good (unless you rinse yeast before to add it to the wort).

Old 08-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When you burnt the malt you changed the color of the malt. 1oz of Roasted Malt or Black patent will significantly change the color of a 5 gallon batch.

I imagine just of a touch of burnt malt would turn your starter black.

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Quick Reply