Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Gravity readings in the Bucket

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
LCTitan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Gravity readings in the Bucket

How do you guys take your gravity readings when fermenting in the bucket. Seems like taking the airlock out and using using a 60CC syringe with some tubing attached would be the most effective way. Not real crazy about removing the lid more than I have to. Your thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You open up your fermenter each time. We spend so much time online, in books and podcasts cautioning brewers what not to do and we ALSO preach on those same mediums the value of taking a hydro reading. If there really was a problem with opening our buckets to take a reading, do you think we would advocate it so much?????

As long as you sanitize, and are careful, you won't have a problem.

This is what I use, and it works with both buckets and carboys. I replaced the plastic one a year ago with an extra long stainless baster from a kitchen ware store and it is awesome. But the plastic one from any grocery store works fine.

And

Here's what I do....

1) With a spray bottle filled with starsan I spray the lid of my bucket, or the mouth of the carboy, including the bung. Then I spray my turkey baster inside and out with sanitize (or dunking it in a container of sanitizer).

2) Open fermenter.

3) Draw Sample

4) fill sample jar (usualy 2-3 turky baster draws

5)Spray bung or lid with sanitizer again

6) Close lid or bung

6) take reading

It is less than 30 seconds from the time the lid is removed until it is closed again.

Probably less if you have help. And unless a bird flies in your place and lets go with some poop, you should be okay.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just toss the hydrometer in the bucket when I have five gallon batches. Glass is as easy to sanitize as anything, and it's much easier to make sure the outside of a hydrometer is clean and sanitized than the inside of a thief. It takes me 45 seconds tops to do a reading, so I'm not concerned about oxidation either.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I also just put the hydrometer directly in the bucket. The only time that is problematic is on beers that form a krausen that just won't go away. I've had a few hefes and a Kolsch do that. I pulled samples with a turkey baster in those cases.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
LCTitan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

After you take your gravity reading externally do you guys discard the sample or pour it back in the batch if everything is sanitized previous to taking the sample?

Old 10-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
I_B_Mongo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTitan View Post
After you take your gravity reading externally do you guys discard the sample or pour it back in the batch if everything is sanitized previous to taking the sample?
Drink it. It lets you know how your beer is developing.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Drink it, or spill it in the sink, don't pour it back into the fermenter, that increases the risk of causing an infection.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
electric_beer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hoping for these for Christmas:
http://brewballstore.com/

Old 10-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Those are some great looking balls!

Old 10-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #10
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You do know you'll have to open the bucket when you'll be bottling right ? And for a whole lot longer ? And usually you bottle in the kitchen where you usually have healthy colonies of bacteria/germs/yeast (notably pedio and lacto) going on ?

Relax, clean and sanitize everything and take your reading. Or just wait 6 weeks in the primary and take a reading then if nothing seems problematic. If fermentation is going, anything that drops in will have to fight the yeast: there's a reason yeats produces alcohol and it is to make their habitat (here wort) hostile to other bugs. Except for our good friend Brett who doesn't care about all that, but Brett works slowly.

Quick Reply