The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Gravity reading after bottling is in another league compared to FG at bottling...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
DoctorDuvel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Gravity reading after bottling is in another league compared to FG at bottling...

So I brewed up a Saison late last summer. The FG (or so I thought) was 1.007 at bottling, but I just opened a bottle earlier tonight and took a gravity reading (an excuse to use my refractometer) and was astounded to find the reading over 1.020. I used a hydrometer for the FG at bottling, and I took multiple readings prior to bottling, noting the gradual progression down to 1.007. So, assuming I didn't screw up the readings, does anyone have an idea about this? ...or did I screw up the readings?

I will say that I thought my Saison always has tasted different, maybe "heavier" than I wanted to be.

I brew a lot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
cyberwollf
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

did you do "alcohol correction" for the refractometer?

Old 02-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

You have to take into account the presence of alcohol, and co2 in your sample. I've really never heard of anyone having the need to take a post bottling reading...that could be why.

Where would the presence of unfermentables that would lower the gravity be coming from? How would something "un-ferment?"

In other words...Operator error.......

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
Ace_Club
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1512 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 52719

The presence of alcohol would tend to lower the gravity reading. Post-bottling sampling would be higher due to the CO2. If you want an accurate way to measure, take your sample and shake/stir to get all the CO2 out of solution. Then measure and you should have the same (or very close) SG as to when the beer was bottled.

"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 4s.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 whipped dog straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel

Old 02-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
DoctorDuvel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Ooooooh! Ok, these things did (very) briefly cross my mind. I guess I thought the refractometer was a little more magical than it really is. I'm just relieved my pre-bottling readings were the right ones.

Revvy, with over 26,000 posts and all the experience you have, I will take my having done something you have never heard of as a compliment and an original contribution to the HBT archives.

Ace_Club, I'll try that next time...Thanks guys!

I brew a lot.

Quick Reply