The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Got my hands on a virgin oak barrel...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
Dunkelweizenpants
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Got my hands on a virgin oak barrel...

And I'm looking for some help on how to best prep and use it...

• I've heard the oak flavors will be crazy intense from a virgin barrel, thoughts on how long to age a 10% ABV Imperial Stout without over-oaking it?

• What should I do to prep the barrel before racking the stout to the barrel (fill with water for weeks, etc)?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Is it a dry barrel? Never has had anything in it? Definitely swell it with water before anything else. If it doesn't leak you are good there. Some say to burn a sulfur stick/rag in it to sanitize. There is also a solution of citric acid and something else to sanitize.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 12-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Fill with water a dissolve some camden tablets in it (Sodium Metabilsulphate), and leave it to sit for a couple of weeks.

I've never used one so I may be wrong, but that is where I would start.

I'd suggest only leaving the first beer in there for a few days and see how it is. Each successive beer can sit a little longer.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Have only once in my life tasted beer aged in oak barrels and that was last month at New Belgium Brewery (Fort Collins CO) - La Folie Wood-Aged Biere. Must say it was foul as far as I was concerned. And I love visiting this brewery and enjoy a Fat Tire.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_caro
Have only once in my life tasted beer aged in oak barrels and that was last month at New Belgium Brewery (Fort Collins CO) - La Folie Wood-Aged Biere. Must say it was foul as far as I was concerned. And I love visiting this brewery and enjoy a Fat Tire.
La Folie is a sour beer. That flavor isn't indicative of a beer aged in a oak barrel. It can be though. The yeast and bacteria that make a beer sour like to take shelter in the wood. If you want a clean beer you just have to keep those guys out of there.

To the OP, you may know this, but a common practice is the age a lesser ABV, lighter beer each succession of the barrel. It will also likely take a bit longer each time to get the flavor you are looking for. Taste often at first. If you over oak it, you can always brew another batch to blend it with though.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 12-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Dunkelweizenpants
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Thanks for the input guys. Yes it's completely dry, never been used or soaked.

I've heard if it's a virgin barrel that the oak flavors will be huge within only a few days, so I'll be testing it daily and only expect to have it in there a week max.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin
Is it a dry barrel? Never has had anything in it? Definitely swell it with water before anything else. If it doesn't leak you are good there. Some say to burn a sulfur stick/rag in it to sanitize. There is also a solution of citric acid and something else to sanitize.
Do not burn sulfur or rag in it! If you do not know what you are doing it can have fumes in it and it can explode!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 12-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman

Do not burn sulfur or rag in it! If you do not know what you are doing it can have fumes in it and it can explode!
That's true if its a used liquor barrel. If its never been used there will be no risk of explosion. Same goes for wine or previously used beer barrels. As long as the contents aren't flammable there's nothing to explode.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 12-10-2012, 01:01 AM   #9
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacandy

That's true if its a used liquor barrel. If its never been used there will be no risk of explosion. Same goes for wine or previously used beer barrels. As long as the contents aren't flammable there's nothing to explode.
Didn't know that, thanks!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 12-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #10
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Beer and wine barrels pose less risk. Liquor barrels have exploded, violently, before. If you take care to rinse it, you should be fairly safe. Then again, if the barrel is wet with 80-100 proof liquor you should be sanitary already. No need to rinse or burn sulfur. Obviously, a new barrel is safe. Sulfur carries its own set of precautions, so that mixture of Campden and citric acid would be your best bet.

kcross13 Likes This 

Quick Reply