The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Glycerin for freezing yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
guldalian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Default Glycerin for freezing yeast

Where would one find glycerin to add to the yeast slurry for freezing? Looking to start a bank.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
allaway
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Amazon, this is what I got: http://www.amazon.com/Glycerin-Veget...words=glycerin

Old 12-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
ffaoe
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 21

You can find it in the pharmacy section of any drug store, supermarket, or a retailer like walmart.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
bink00
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I find it in the lotion section at the local cvs...its a skin protectant or something.

Its clear jar with a blue label that says glycerin usp

Old 12-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaway View Post
That's the stuff I bought just over a month ago. You don't use all that much per batch, so it will last a good while. I used about 125ml of glycerine in my first 500ml yeast slurry mix (total volume). Got 12 vials filled (sold as 50ml, but really hold about 45ml when you're freezing them). I have a set of beakers coming (5, up to 1L size) for the next batch I freeze. Also got more vials coming along with the stands to hold them up while I pour (will make it easier). Only thing I want to get before the next batch is a glass stir rod. Checking to see if I can get that locally.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
allaway Likes This 
Old 12-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #6
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I get mine in the pharmacy section at Walmart.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:27 AM   #7
Golddiggie
Recipes 

I checked local stores for it before ordering. Cost per same amount was far less via Amazon than any store I could go to and get it. I was seeing $6, or more, for a 2oz bottle... I paid under $12 for a quart bottle. Gotta love the Amazon Prime membership, with free 2 day shipping.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
allaway Likes This 
Old 12-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I checked local stores for it before ordering. Cost per same amount was far less via Amazon than any store I could go to and get it. I was seeing $6, or more, for a 2oz bottle... I paid under $12 for a quart bottle. Gotta love the Amazon Prime membership, with free 2 day shipping.
I think I only paid a few dollars for a 6 ozs bottle at Walmart. $12 for a quart is certainly cheaper, but a 6 ozs bottle lasts me a long time.

I use small test tubes; about half an ounce each. I fill 5 each time, so use less than an ounce of glycerin each time. I probably freeze about 4 yeasts a year, so a 6 ozs bottle will last about 2 years for me. A quart bottle would last close to 10 years.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:34 AM   #9
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
I think I only paid a few dollars for a 6 ozs bottle at Walmart. $12 for a quart is certainly cheaper, but a 6 ozs bottle lasts me a long time.

I use small test tubes; about half an ounce each. I fill 5 each time, so use less than an ounce of glycerin each time. I probably freeze about 4 yeasts a year, so a 6 ozs bottle will last about 2 years for me. A quart bottle would last close to 10 years.
That's pretty small samples there. I followed the thread about how to mix it all up. For me, it was easier (due to tools on hand) to mix up 500ml total slurry and glycerine mix. With 125ml of glycerine in the 500ml of total volume. I want enough yeast in each vial to not have to make half a dozen starters to step it up to what I need for my typical batches (6.74-7.25 gallons into fermenting vessel). I've also offered vials to some of the local home brewers (either HBT or the club I'm a member of). Even with giving away those, I'll have enough of the strain to carry me through. I'm just hoping that Wyeast offers it again without making me wait more than another year. Even if they go a couple of years, though, I should have enough yeast in reserve to keep me going.

I'm planning to freeze another batch, or two, soon. Once the supplies arrive I'll plan it out. I want to get both the other strain I use frequently, and another I don't use very often at all. With the less frequent one, it's more a matter of having some so that I don't need to drive an hour (or more) each way to get some.

Fermenting
K1:

Quick Reply