Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Glass vs Better Bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #1
Brian-d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Glass vs Better Bottle

Just wondering what makes a better fermentor...Glass or better bottle car boy and why? To take it one step further, would a plastic bucket style fermentor work just as well or better? Thanks.

Last edited by Brian-d; 07-06-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
djsethall
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I prefer my stainless sanke keg in the horizontal position for a primary and glass secondaries. I just prefer knowing that the glass is hard enough to not get scratched too much from a carboy brush. I used to use the plastic water jugs as primaries, and they are a different plastic than BB, but I like the glass ones.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The advantage of the better bottle is weight mostly, and the fact that it won't shatter and possible injure you. Buckets are a good choice too but I think the oxygen permeability of better boys might be better then the buckets. If you are going to long term age a batch like say a sour that sits in the fermenter for 6 months+ then you want to go glass just from an oxygen permeability standpoint.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:31 AM   #4
jvlpdillon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

A glass carboy will shatter at the worst time. I have the scar on my hand to prove it. I also have a buddy who bumped one with his ankle and it shattered. And another who set his down at the wrong angle and it shattered.

Better Bottles are supposed to be the same quality as a glass carboy. As in being impenetrable to oxygen. I switched to these for lagering and dry hopping.

For plastic buckets, supposedly these let in more Oxygen than other fermenters. I do quick fermenting beers in these that will not hit a secondary; Wit, ESB, APA.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:41 AM   #5
musick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ive used the same glass for 8 yrs. w/ no chips, cracks or breaks. A lot of that depends on how careful and to a lesser extent how strong you are.

SS is best, but quite expensive.

Glass is great - inert, no O2 issues and easy to clean.

Plastic is good - plastic vessels will eventually have to be replaced, can harbor bacteria in microscopic scratches and are O2 permeable.

For me, glass wins hands down.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:43 AM   #6
erikpete18
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

Yup, all three (four if you start counting stainless kegs/cornies) will ferment beer just fine, and there are pros and cons to each. There's a real good write-up in the Beginner's forum that goes over the pros and cons of each. For what its worth, I use glass but am also very careful about moving them (milk crates, carboy haulers, etc.). But any of them will work, its just up to you to decide what's more important .

Old 07-07-2011, 03:46 AM   #7
jvlpdillon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I agree with Musick. Plastic will need to be replaced because it can harbor bacteria. I personally just switch these to sour beers only.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:58 AM   #8
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

glass it is. If you have a carboy handle and fit to move one around, there is no issues with these bad boys, they ferment/secondary/condition/age etc. All in one package. And they beautiful

Old 07-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
3 Dog Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by musick View Post
Ive used the same glass for 8 yrs. w/ no chips, cracks or breaks. A lot of that depends on how careful and to a lesser extent how strong you are.

SS is best, but quite expensive.

Glass is great - inert, no O2 issues and easy to clean.

Plastic is good - plastic vessels will eventually have to be replaced, can harbor bacteria in microscopic scratches and are O2 permeable.

For me, glass wins hands down.
Musick is correct in my opinion. I have used glass for 10 years without incident. I just recently broke a 6.5 gallon carboy when I backed into it as it was draining. That experience alone has made me switch to Better Bottles. I am willing to pay the price to replace them every couple of years for the benefits of:
  • Much less heavy
  • Won't shatter
  • Wider neck (this could be a con from a sanitation perspective)

I'm planning on building the sump-pump in a 5 gallon bucket, carboy cleaner to run PBW through so that I don't have to use the carboy brush on the plastic. I'm hoping that this extends the life of the plastic. We'll see. Glass is "better" for the reasons listed. Impermeable to O2 and micro-organisms, transparent (see what's going on in there), small opening to reduce risk of contaimination if you have to remove the airlock.

Circles and squares, man. Circles and squares.

3 Dog Brewery - "Sit, Stay. Good Beer!"
www.3dogbrew.com
3 Dog Blog 3DogBrew/Blogspot.com
Follow 3 Dog Brewery on Facebook

I am a Homebrewer on YouTube --- Motorized Mill Station --- Brew Tools III Free Download

Old 07-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #10
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3142 Times on 1963 Posts
Likes Given: 2659

BB win. I have 5 of them and 2 glass carboys.

I've been using the better bottles for a long time. I haven't seen any reason to replace them.

I also seriously doubt the significance of O2 permeability on the Better Bottles.

Quick Reply