The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Glass carboys for beer primary fermentation question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2011, 03:24 AM   #1
NScooknet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Glass carboys for beer primary fermentation question

Hi all,

I'm using a couple glass carboys as my primary fermenter, and plan on leaving the wort in the fermenter for a couple weeks or until it's ready to bottle, and not use a secondary fermenter at all.

My one and only plastic bucket currently is busy with a batch of Festa West Coast IPA, all I had left to use were the glass carboys.

Since this is my 1st time using the glass carboy as a primary as opposed to the usual plastic bucket what I'm concerned about is the amount of krausen that may form in the glass carboy, and what to do about it if it's to much.

I had a batch of Pale Ale go crazy with a really violent fermentation recently in the plastic bucket, so now I'm wondering if the glass carboys even have enough room.

I've seen some people use glass carboys as primary fermenter and they use a drainage hose type thing, which is a hose in the bung instead of the airlock, which goes to a large jar of water next to the carboy, so it still bubbles up under water to maintain an airlock, but the krausen has somewhere to go if it gets too much.

Should I use this kind of setup?

Right now, there is just the usual airlock in the carboys, and I just pitched the yeast a few hours ago, so there's still time to unplug the airlock and replace with a tube if you think it will get messy!

I just started a batch of Brew House Oktoberfest, and a batch of Brew House Winterfest Ale at the same time, maybe the hoses could both go into the same jar of water, or would that be a bad cross contamination thing?

Thanks!!

Chris

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2011, 03:30 AM   #2
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 554 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 150

If you have one, set up the blow off. It is less messy it it does blow and no consequence if it doesn't. You can just leave the blowoff set up or switch to an airlock after the peak of fermentation has passed.

second question: there should be no problem putting 2 blowoffs in the same jar.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:34 AM   #3
BainbridgeBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You can put a hose on the airlock. I use a 1" hose on carboys. I rigged this one up when my IPA suddenly had a freak ferment and filled 2 gallons of the bucket with krausen and started coming out the airlock. Only thing I'd worry about in smaller diameter hose is something plugging it.

img-20111026-00039.jpg  

Old 11-05-2011, 03:59 AM   #4
NScooknet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for that info!

Hopefully I can swap out the airlocks tomorrow without disturbing it too much, it won't let an infection in or anything by opening up the airlock for that short amount of time to switch to a blow off tube will it?

Here's what it's looking like right now:

Incidentally, that little jar you see on the top of the black plastic covered fermenter is a fruit fly trap, they just will not die here in Nova Scotia right now where we live!!

The little buggers LOVE to land in Iodophor for some reason, makes it very hard to sanitize everything! Grrrr!

This is what I don't want to happen again:

Last edited by NScooknet; 11-05-2011 at 04:04 AM.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
NScooknet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Yup, this morning when I got up there was krausen everywhere, and the airlocks were overflowing! Sticky mess...lol.

Here's what I rigged up, what do you think??

Should I leave it like this until done, or just plug in the airlocks once fermentation seems to subside?

Old 11-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd remove half the water from the container the tubes are going into, so there's space for any blowoff. I like the round vessel on the left, where did you get it?

Old 11-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

I usually leave the blow off tubes on for the first week and then swap out for the airlocks. I don't like using such small hoses for my blow offs because I've had my large diameter ones clog before. You local hardware should have tubing that will fit directly into the mouth of the carboy. You may never need it...but when that thing blows from the pressure, it's a friggin mess.

ferm.jpg  
Old 11-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
NScooknet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfmikeb View Post
I'd remove half the water from the container the tubes are going into, so there's space for any blowoff. I like the round vessel on the left, where did you get it?
Thanks guys for those suggestions, much appreciated!

I'm still getting the hang of things, but I learn quickly

That round container on the left is actually Pyrex lab ware, it's a 6000ml volume container, not sure what it was used for, I bought it at auction. Needless to say I've cleaned it REALLY well, for all I know it could have been used to make meth or something bad like that.

I am going to make a test batch of apple cider in that round container, but that's a whole other story, hehe.

The liquid in the container is actually Iodophor solution, I had to sterilize the tubing anyhow, so i thought since it eventually just dissipates I'd just leave it in the container since it's sterile. Hope that wasn't a mistake.

It actually is filling up quite a bit from the blow off, so I'm gonna remove some of it right now!

I would have used that fat tubing you showed, but I had to make due with what I had on hand, next time I'll be more prepared!

Thanks again!

Chris

Old 11-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Quote:
I'm still getting the hang of things, but I learn quickly
Then your gonna go far!! LOL

Old 11-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
NScooknet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
Then your gonna go far!! LOL
Thanks Hammy,
I've got nothing better to do with my time, I'm disabled with a chronic pain syndrome and stuck in the house, even my doctor suggests I drink beer to help with the pain!

Nothing better than brewing your own cure! LOL

Chris

Quick Reply