New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Getting yeast from a commercial bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
billk911
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Getting yeast from a commercial bottle

I am thinking of doing a Bell's Two Hearted ale clone. It seems that getting yeat out of a actual bottle of this beer is the way to go. How do I go about collecting it from the commercial bottle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

This thread has a video

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pacman-yeast-starter-video-63855/?highlight=pacman

It's just like making a starter but you are using the dregs at the bottom of a bottle. One trick I've found is to use multiple bottles when you make it. I've done huge harvests of yeast with as many as 12 bottles.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

You're also going to want to make sure that Bell's uses the same yeast to bottle condition and don't pasturize their beers before sending out to market. If you do wind up getting the yeast from the bottle, let us know how it turns out.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Old 12-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrawTap88 View Post
You're also going to want to make sure that Bell's uses the same yeast to bottle condition and don't pasturize their beers before sending out to market. If you do wind up getting the yeast from the bottle, let us know how it turns out.
That was pretty much established here years ago that they DO indeed have the primary source yeast in their bottles. Actually very few breweries, mostly belgian, intentionally disguise their yeast, or go with a totally different yeast strain at bottling. And that's mostly hig grav beers. But Bell's indeed has their houe strain in it Folks have successfully harvest from 2 hearted and iirc Amber.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
That was pretty much established here years ago that they DO indeed have the primary source yeast in their bottles. Actually very few breweries, mostly belgian, intentionally disguise their yeast, or go with a totally different yeast strain at bottling. And that's mostly hig grav beers. But Bell's indeed has their houe strain in it Folks have successfully harvest from 2 hearted and iirc Amber.
I did not know that. Thank you, Revvy.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Old 12-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 191 Posts

Just take your time stepping up the yeast. You should step up no more than ten times the volume of the prior step, so your first step should be very small. I typically get enough yeast for a 5 gallon batch within about a week. You don't have to, but you may want to think about adding a pinch of yeast nutrient, if you have it, to that first step to make sure the yeast get off to a good start.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4544 Times on 4452 Posts
Likes Given: 1782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Oberon as well. I successfully harvested from 3 bottles into a small 500 ml starter on stir plate and stepped up from there. Not a bad idea to use some yeast nutrient too since those guys in the bottle have been pretty abused compared to your typical smack pack yeast!

Quick Reply