Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Getting concerned! Is it time to dump in the compost?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
WVbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Getting concerned! Is it time to dump in the compost?

Hi everyone was hoping someone could help me either ease my fears, or go dump my esb in the compost. Brewed an AG red hook esb clone frome 150 clone beers book. Everything went well...hit all the numbers etc..Only problem was I didn't have the american ale yeast recommended...so 3 days before brew time I reconstituted the wyeast irish ale yeast from a bottle of a taddy porter clone I made a couple months back. Next problem, couldn't find my glass jug I use for starters (probably got recycled), so I used a 1 gallon plastic jug. I know plastic is bad because of potential oxidation. Starter seemed to work fine....krausen and everything....pitched it and fermentation was on whithin 4 hours (48 hour vigorous , very vigorous, "what the hell is going on in there" type fermentation ensued). Ok...transfered to secondary after one week (gravity was close to target), now it's been two weeks and the yeast is still in suspension, fg is on the money and the beer tastes slightly sour. Not "oh crap this beer is bad", more like "something is off and why is all the yeast still floating around". I know this strain is not highly flocculant, but I'm getting concerned. I'm worried my yeast got infected, or I'm just being paranoid. Only lost 1 beer to infection in 12 years. Any thoughts? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
beltbuckle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd give it another 2 weeks and see how it tastes. I've found that a "sour" taste interpretation can sometimes come from acetaldehyde. If it's infected it will get worse, if it's something like acetaldehyde it will get better as the yeast clean up after themselves. It's still a little early to tell.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Cold crash it maybe?

Quick Reply