Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Getting Banana and Clove flavors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2010, 02:15 AM   #1
EthanDH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Getting Banana and Clove flavors

Hey all,
I am brewing my fifth or sixth wheat beer soon. The first I made had this wonderful banana/clove flavoring to it. I know it was imparted by the yeast and possibly the temps I was fermenting at. I went on the high side around 70 degrees. I have yet to replicate this taste to the degree I want in my later attempts. I don't remember the yeast I used however. I just ordered white labs american hefe WLP320. Will these American strains of yeast give me the banana clove flavor I want, or do I need to use the more traditional bavarian/german yeasts to get it? Also, can anyone recommend to me a suitable fermentation temp to do this at? Thanks a bunch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wyeast 3068 defintely produces those flavors strongly. LAst time I fermented around 70

Old 08-22-2010, 02:23 AM   #3
JBmadtown
Recipes 

I believe the german wheat yeasts are better known for these qualities. I am going to be using wyeast 3068 soon. Also, good aeration or even open fermentation should increase these flavor qualities. Check out brewingtv.com and watch their "topless hefe" episode.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:28 AM   #4
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 138

the banana and clove esters in American wheat is quite suppressed because it is not to style, I have always used Wyeast 3068 in my wheats and have had great banana/clove flavors, I believe that the warmer you ferment the better the banana comes through, the cooler you go yields more clove. I would keep a log of your beer recipes, yeast, and the fermenter temps, so you can get a repeatable brew by following the notes.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 08-22-2010, 02:37 AM   #5
NotALamer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah you get clove at lower temps and banana/bubble gum at higher temps. You need to let the temp vary for complexity.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I'll say go for Wyeast 3068. I started it lower-mid 60s by accident and then let it warm up to mid-upper 60s and one day accidently let it hit lower 70s (blew off). I have a banana bomb that I think is awesome.

I was talking to the guy at the LHBS about it and he said he planned on doing his next wheat by tossing in a few cloves in at the end of fermentation.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 08-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
AviatorTroy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wyeast 3060 or White Labs 300, they are supposedly the same. Ferment at 64 for more clove, 68-70 for more banana. Throw that American Hefe yeast in the toilet. It does absolutley nothing for me, personally I feel its totally bland.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
Johnny9
Recipes 

WLP-300 and a ferm temp of 68 deg F is perfect for me. Plenty of nana! Love it.

I have brewed more of this style than any other...

Old 08-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
EthanDH
Recipes 

Thanks for the input guys. I already purchased the hefe yeast so next time around i'll go on your yeast suggestions.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
bh10
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanDH View Post
Hey all,
I am brewing my fifth or sixth wheat beer soon. The first I made had this wonderful banana/clove flavoring to it. I know it was imparted by the yeast and possibly the temps I was fermenting at. I went on the high side around 70 degrees. I have yet to replicate this taste to the degree I want in my later attempts. I don't remember the yeast I used however. I just ordered white labs american hefe WLP320. Will these American strains of yeast give me the banana clove flavor I want, or do I need to use the more traditional bavarian/german yeasts to get it? Also, can anyone recommend to me a suitable fermentation temp to do this at? Thanks a bunch.
I was looking for a stronger banana tasting Hefe, I used WL300, and fermented it high like 74*, and got exactly wha I was looking for, along with a nice clover aftertaste.

Quick Reply